• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Medicine book recommendation: The 5 min. Veterinary Consult, Ferret and Rabbit

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9296/goofball6482od1.jpg

The 5-minute Veterinary Consult: Ferret and Rabbit by Barbara L. Oglesbee, 2006 Edition

this book is recommended by my vet, it's a ref. book that covers all health problems on bunnies. Rabbit section is from p.178 to p.400

Let's use GI stasis page as an eg., it covers Definition, Pathophysiology, Signs, Causes and Risk Factors, Diagnosis, Treatment, Mediciations (specifically the dosage amt. based on Per KG), Follow Up.

It's a very good book, cheap from Amazon, for those who need a good ref book. 6 DVM serves as Reviewers on top of the writer.

Last edited:
that price is so high. In Christmas I paid either $36 or $60 (can't remember), and shipping w/ this book and a few other books is only $10

I ordered and received the book today and it is great well worth the money, £47 would definately recommend it:D

I ordered and received the book today and it is great well worth the money, £47 would definately recommend it:D

Thanks for letting us know kayj. I liked the look of it so I might treat myself as soon as I have some spare cash.:D

I so happened that I found the receipt at Amazon. It's $38.25, shipping is free. It could be a christmas sale. See if amazon has 2nd hand copy.

Also, I have ordered from amazon.co.uk, amazon.com, and amazon.ca and shipment did come from UK, Canada and USA

So you can order from USA if their price and shipping is cheap enough

I would like to give an e.g. of how powerful this book is:

In all types of the rabbit sickness, this book covers the definition, the diagnosis, the treatment and the medications use

For ref.:

PO = Per os
IV = intravenous
SC = Subcutaneous
IM = Intramuscular

Below is an e.g. of the the definition, the diagnosis, the treatment and the medications use on GI stasis.

For original text:

After you click the link, you have to click the "magnifying len" symbol on your browser to view the text clearly.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7672/gistasis1qr4.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8997/gistasis2bb2.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9297/gistasis3np7.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6203/gistasis4scanvz4.jpg

gistasis1az7.jpg

gistasis2jg9.jpg

gistasis3sn7.jpg

gistasis4zj0.jpg

Last edited:
Among the 4 books, I like this one the most, the name doesn't quite appealing, I mean, it sounds cheap when it says it's a 5 min. consult, but it's meant for vet.

You look under the sickness, then you immediately has the diagnosis and the treatment.

So if a vet is guessing what kind of sickness a bun has, say he narrows down to 3 choices, he can look at the basics, and compares the "basics" on all 3 choices and decide what sickness a bun has.

The book is very new in printing, printed out in 2006. Audit and view by a no. of top vet before printing

I will have to see if I can get a copy because it looks really useful, maybe I should put it on my Christmas list!

I think I should bring up this thread in mid-Nov. to remind people to buy this for the benefit of their bun as a christmas gift. Because I only paid $38, and it's definitely a sale price. So is a few other rabbit medicine books, the price is ridiculously low. All 4 books are from amazon.com / amazon.ca. So I'm guessing amazon put a lot of books at highly reduced price during christmas time

I treated myself to the BSAVA Manual of Rabbit Medicine yesterday. I hope it's good as it cost £60 :shock:

Might put the 5 minute veterinary consult on my birthday list :)

For 60 GBP, that's high compares to what the 5 min. consult can do. I vaguely recall I paid even less on the BSAVA than the $38 on the 5 min. consult.

BSAVA is really an "addition" to the existing, a supplement book, not a main book. As BSAVA tries to covers a lot of subject in a 200 pages book, which isn't possible.

On the other hand, BSAVA has much more photos than anyone else

been trawling for this since you mentioned it on another thread a while back..ive found it but need to find my bookmark..pmsl

not widely available here but all the other 5 min consults are:shock:

For 60 GBP, that's high compares to what the 5 min. consult can do. I vaguely recall I paid even less on the BSAVA than the $38 on the 5 min. consult.

BSAVA is really an "addition" to the existing, a supplement book, not a main book. As BSAVA tries to covers a lot of subject in a 200 pages book, which isn't possible.

On the other hand, BSAVA has much more photos than anyone else

I searched everywhere online for it and that was the cheapest. I will get the other one for my birthday, but knew I wouldn't get the bsava as mum has a £50 limit for birthdays :D

Back