• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery from Stasis and when to take back to the vets

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I'm feeding and looking after someones rabbit whilst they are away.

He had stasis caused by his teeth needing burring, so he had them done on Monday. His teeth were done, but his eating and pooing is still not back to normal. He's had gut stimulant since then (orally) and he has metacam every day cos he has arthritis.

I've decided to take him back to the vets anyway this afternoon so they can monitor him. Why is he not eating properly though, and what will the vet be able to do?

thanks

I think he probably needs extra water, warmed from the kettle, syringing into him twice a day, plus stuff like dandelions or whatever he finds tempting, just to get his appetite back. The water will help the slowed down gut contents move through - the longer they're sat in his guts the drier they get and the more stuff gets backed up behind it, which makes them feel not as hungry as it starts producing gas.

Did the vets tell you if he had any soft tissue lacerations to the inside of his mouth?

How old is he?

Hi, sorry I've been offline. Yes apparently he did have a sore mouth when he had a check up over a week ago, but is ok now.

The vet gave me gut stimulant and him an injection of antibiotics. She didn't seem too worried and he had put on a little weight.

He is very old, probably about 9. Over the weekend, and still when I went in this morning he is not eating properly, just small amounts. He does go through patches of not eating much though.

I can't stand looking after other people's pets, really worries me.

Not surprised - sounds incredibly stressful!!! :shock: Hope things improve.

Thank you! Problem is he is my two bosses (sp) rabbit so I don't have a choice! I dread him dying on me. The vet said on friday that she thought he'd be gone a long time ago.

Thank you! Problem is he is my two bosses (sp) rabbit so I don't have a choice! I dread him dying on me. The vet said on friday that she thought he'd be gone a long time ago.

That's reassuring!! :shock: How long have you got him for?

Back