• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new litter

baily8

New Kit
Hi i need a bit of advice about my new litter of rabbits they were born on 27th Feb. There are 5 of them, they are all doing well, good fur coats, eyes open, nice round bellys. My question is when should they leave the nest, the mum has put so much hay in there and blocked of the hole, will she clear it when she wants them to leave the nest or i do need to move it to let them out. Also when can i empty the nest and put fresh hay in there? and last question can i remove them from the nest and pick them up and have a real look at them out of the cage, so far i've just been looking at them closly in nest to check them.

leaving the nest

An interesting question and one I am also curious about to some extent. My kits are 2 weeks new today, and we very carefully lifted the nest yesterday to remove damp hay and fur underneath. I was amazed at how well the nest was made and it was surprisingly firm - so we literally lifted it up as a whole, removed damp material from underneath and then placed it in a large plant pot with the babes still in it! It was so cute! Our babes are fully furred, and at 8 days 2 of them had wandered to other side of sleeping compartment, but soon found their own way back! And in fact if mum goes in now they all try and scamper out and pester her! The hutch has a gradual ramp into an enclosed and VERY SECURE run in the garden, so needless to say mum is outdoors eating grass and pellets most of the time! But clearly feeding her family well as they are growing very quickly!

So, my question is similair, but when can I expect babes to come out and explore the grass, or in fact should I lift them out? Mum is very tame and not bothered about us checking the nest, which we have done every 2 days since kits born.

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question, but as mine is along similair lines I thought it may help and bounce the question up again

Hi Nilla
From now on your babies will start to wander around the hutch and venture to find mum and her milk when they choose. They will begin to nibble at her food etc. I wouldnt clean the nest area for at least another week/10 days as this is their safe place with the smells that make them feel secure. When you do clean do not use disinfectant, it is too strong for the babies. I am a little concerned about the hutch having a ramp and access to the garden. I would recommend making some changes so they cannot get to the ramp or into the garden, grass would not be ideal at this age and they are still very wobbly on their feet.
Hope that helps a little
Louisa

Leaving the nest - continued!

Hi, thanks for advice. However, babes began wandering at 8 days, only in bedroom, scurrying around in the hay, but found way back to nest and are often there, cuddled up with siblings. We did actually lift whole nest, with babes in it on day 12, pulled out damp bedding from underneath and placed whole thing in large plant pot whilst we replaced with dry bedding. Mum and babes seemed totally undisturbed by this, so all is well.

However, babies are now wandering more in bedroom, none have attempted the ramp yet into outdoors, but it would be difficult to close it off as mum is used to coming and going of her own accord. Should I put some pellets in a bowl inside - as mums food is outside - and also - do they need water once they are eating solids - or does mums milk suffice? Lots of questions! Finally, if we do need to make adaptions - what age will babes be ok to wander onto grass?

All help appreciated. I am amazed how well my mummy bun is doing - this is her first litter and she seems so content and they are growing so quickly!

hya my french babies were born 26th feb.been running around for past 2wks.have full run of a large shed.cleaned hutch out from when they wre 2wks old.any piccies?x:)

nilla, could you put a piece of wood across the door way, just high enough to stop the babies accidentally tumbling out, but so mum can still get in.

no other advice though, i'm afraid :)

They will start nibbling food and will need some dry food to easily reach. They also copy mum with the water bottle and will need water though not straight-away - but it depends on the weather. They will need to see mum drinking to know what to do - when I hand-reared some babies it took ages for me to show them what a water spout was for

Back