• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house bunnies outside

lapin

Young Bun
I’m going to be moving my house rabbits outside next week (not out of choice, just can’t be avoided at the moment). One of them had lived outside until I adopted her a month ago, so I’m not so worried about her, as I’m presuming she’ll still have her winter coat. My other bunny has always lived in the house with me. Will he be ok being moved outside?

I started putting them out in the run last week during the day and bringing them indoors in the evening (I don’t have the heating on). I had to stop this at the weekend when we had the snow but now it’s warmed up, I’m putting them back out during the day again. They will have to move outside permanently by next weekend. Is it best to get them used to the change in temperature by just putting them outside during the day, or should I move them into their hutch permanently straight away?

I’ve got a Snugglesafe to put in their bedroom area but they’ll probably choose to sit in the outside part of the hutch! What else should I do to keep them warm? I’m worried that the change in temperature will be too much of a shock for them.

I also feel a bit guilty about putting them outside. They seem to have really enjoyed being in the run and eating grass but I’m worried about not being able to give them as much attention as before. Obviously I’ll spend lots of time with them but it won’t be the same as being able to give them a nose rub every time I walk past them in the house.

Hi lapin, im in the same situation as you! im moving house soon and mine are going from indoors in cages and free range of the kit to outdoors in hutch and free run of an enclose terrace and im so worried about them like u! the fact that its still bloody freezing and like u im worried they wont get as many cuddles as they wont be nuzzling my feet while i make a brew!:lol: iv brought their new hutch into the kitchen so it will be familiar by the time we move..so its not all change..new hutch, new environment and hopefully they will settle well. Im going to make sure they have loads of hay to snuggle in, maybe get a snuggle safe, im gonna put them outside in the day now, and bring them in a night until i move so they climatise to the cold slowly and hope for the best! oh and im gonna make sure i go out to them lots when i move, get a nice chair to sit and have my breakfast with them....if its not too cold:lol:!

best not to worry, give them plenty of bedding and they should be ok iv ben told!

The bunnies will be fine if you are putting them outside during the day. It will help them cope with the temperature. I think you are doing well with this and when they go into their hutch permantely, they should do absolutely fine. With regards to the Snugglesafe, they'll sit on it if they need it, it's best to have it in with them anyway. Because there are two of them, they won't miss you. They have each other and when you go and see them often during the day just to say hello, they'll appreciate your company.

Back