• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What veg do you feed your buns?

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Following the broccoli thread in the rabbit care section, can I ask what veg everyone feeds, how much and how often? e.g. what would an average veg feed include for your buns? Just wondering if I need to adjust what I'm doing :?

Thank you :)

Yes please! I think this a good thread (as a former broccoli ponderer!):)

I find the list in FAQ very useful and have looked at it LOADS of times to help me out - but what do you give your buns DAILY please and (possibly more importantly) how much?

TP;)

Mix of veg, so its a plateful each. Would say a 6" plate, based on what the rescue gave them.

Get Spring greens daily 1.5 leaves each
Carrot (1/2 each) every 2- three days.
Apple (4 small pieces each) every 2-3 days. Not same day as carrot
broccoli - 2 small florettes every other day
brussel sprouts, 1.5-2 each every other day
celery - 2 small pieces each every other day
cabbage - leaf each every other day

All but the spring greens get mixed about. HAve also had Kale when there has been some left over form what we have :D

Corriander
Parsley
Thyme
Baby Toms
Pok Choi (is that right? the chinese leaf stuff anyway)!!
Parsnip
Radishes
Carrot Tops and peal
spring greens
brocolli
cauliflour
cucumber
celery
sprouts
A Selection of the above every day

Then they also have the below but not every day:
Occasional Apple
Occassional Pear
Occassional Raspberry
Kale
Spinach
Dried banana
Grapes

I feed veg once a week
-carrot tops the leafy part
-tiny amount of carrot
-Curly Kale
-tiny amounts of apple

He has constant access to grass, nettles and dandelions plus copious amount s of hay so veg is a treat.

everyday he'll get a mixture of things like coriander, sugar snap peas, capsicum, kale, lemon thyme, thyme, those sorts of things. i try and vary it as much as i can and he only gets a small amount or he gets lazy with his cecals. he's very fussy about his veg. he loves his herbs so i try and concerntrate on a variety.
parsley every 3 days
piece of banana every sunday morning!

Also should have said that they get the veggies in the morning

Pellets at night (small amount hidden about whilst we clean them out) and another small amount when they get put to bed.

I just kept the routine from the rescue where it was veg in am and pellets at night

They get fresh hay morning and nght and eat lots. seem addicted to the oat hay from alfalfa king

Spring greens
Kale
Carrots
The very rare tomato
Small amounts of bell pepper
Broccoli
Tiny amounts of spinach and those other little green leaves (name escapes me:lol: )

To be totally honest they usually get their veg as and when it comes...if theres a spare few leaves going, theyll get them. It amounts to a very small amount each day, usually at dinner time (leftovers from what weve chopped etc!) and they love it all!

Last edited:
Every morning and evening i feed a small amount of pellets with around 3 of the following every day. I try and vary it and the buns love it :D

Parsnip
Rocket
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
All herbs
Spring Greens
Celery
Baby leaf salads
Strawberry leaves
Certain garden weeds

Twice a weekish
Carrot
Watercress
Pea shoots

Occasionally
Berries (small amount as treat only)
Apple

Mine get a couple of leaves of spring greens, an inch or so of carrot between them daily and random veg according to what I have in; basil, parsley, spinach, kale, broccoli, celery, tomatoes, babay leaf salad, watercress, rocket etc:)

I give a selection of the following every evening as their dinner (enough to fill a bakery sieve (as that's what i use to wash it!) this is for two buns):

Greens
Broccoli
Kale
parsnip
carrots
watercress
rocket
lettuce (not iceburg)
radishes
celery
brussels
fruits - like apple, pear (more of a treat)
herbs
turnip
swede
butternut squash

Spring greens, kale, spinich, brocolli, Watercress, celery, sugar snap peas, Rocket, parsley, basil, coriander, carrot, apple, pear, baby sweetcorn, grapes,
I am sure I have missed something out:D

Most get 3 different veg a night, with their food dish topped up, My giants get two lots of veg a day with their food bowl topped up at night,

They do get a weetabix or a rich tea biscuit or a ryvita also as a treat.

the ones with this * next to it are the ones I feed rarely :) (and fruit and herbs)

Parsely
Thyme
Rocket
Basil
Rosemary
Banana
Tomato
Kale
Spring Greens
Apple*
Brocolli
Parsnip
Fennel*
Radish
Romanie Lettuce*
Swede
Brussels (including stalk)
Carrot*

They only get veg every two days other wise I am greeted by runny poo :rolleyes:

Veggies every morning as its really important for my piggies so the buns get a small amount so they don't feel left out.

I miss and match from the following...

Cabbage - Greener the better
Parsley
Brocolli
Carrot
Parsnip
Bell pepper - red, green, yellow
corn on the cob - fresh not the dried kind
Cucumber

They don't seem to like apple much but love a bit of melon as a treat (rind included). I find this good in the summer as its juicy and keeps them hydrated.

Mine get most of the veggies mentioned and a few more, they get atleast 4 different veg morning and evening. They also have corriander and parsley twice a week.

Back