• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wondering what to do

ailz

Alpha Buck
My buns, housebunies with their own room, get irregular very short doses of snuffles. If we leave too much hay down they start, if the room gets stuffy, it's more like allergies - to hay unfortunately.

Last time they were at the vets they ended up going alternate days for over 3 weeks for injections, which greatly stressed them out, and the snuffles didn't settle until we stopped taking them. The vet sort of shrugged and gave them their vaccinations because we asked as he said they had to be clear of the snuffles for a week before they started on their vaccs.

Putting them in their carrier and taking them to the vets immediately starts them sneezing, sometimes with fluid from their nose, sometimes not.

We are putting netting over their opening window, and the doorway and a fly zapper both in their room and in the corridor outside.

Do I get them vaccinated - although it will almost certainly make them ill, or do I set up as much protection as I can. My vet, in Oldham, hasn't dealt with myxi for a long time and VHD at all since he came to this practice.

Any thoughts on this matter gratefully received.

:wave:see if the vets will come to you, as i have just had my lot done (28 of them) at home. it may cost a bit more but the buns will be in their own home and not had to go out. also try garlic granules (that are given to horses,) shepherds purse herb in their dreid food, which also is mixed with some guniea pig food for the vitamin c. these are immune booster homeopathic treatments. also for snuffles echenacia drops into their drinking water. these work as my indoor and outdoor ones have this. as in area were the mixie and vhd is not as much of a problem then you can do it once a year, where in my area the mixie is every 6 months:evil::evil: hope it helps.
emily

is there a dehumidifier in the room, or an air filter? the air quality in my piggie room is vastly improved after running a dehumidifier for a few hours every day - it filters a lot of dust out as well as moisture :)

Back