• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial buns

mrs*spoon

Warren Scout
ive read some stuff on here about female buns being quite territorial of their cages but i was just wondering if males can be just as bad??

im asking as my little Buddy (12 weeks old) seems to be quite territorial of his cage. when i put my hand in to get his food bowl/put hay in he charges for my hand, doesnt growl or bite though, and just tries to head butt my hand. tonight my mum was stroking him in his cage and he nipped her twice (she said she's going to call him nipper now!!:rolleyes:) so i was wondering if he could have done it because she had her hand in his cage and he felt scared or threatened??

i hope he doesnt turn out to be nasty about people putting their hands in his cage!! if he does though would that behaviour calm down once he's been neutered?

also just one more question, is there a certain age you should wait until to have you rabbits jabs done? i want to have Buddys done before he goes in the garden but i was just wondering if i have to wait until a certain age!!

thanks

If your rabbit is neutered as soon as it matures and developes testicles which is usually around the 12 - 16 week time span this aggression will more than likely subside. In the meanwhile have two bowls for food, put in the new bowl before removing the old bowl.

Myxie vaccination can be given when your rabbit reaches 6 weeks of age and VHD when they are about 12 weeks old. You need to leave at least 2 weeks between these vaccinations and also leave 2 weeks before / after / between neutering, this prevents unnecessary stress on the rabbits immune system.

thanks, hes not quite that bad that we need to use two food bowls........yet!!! but i'll keep it in mind.

i'll probably wait a couple more weeks until he has his jabs because hes not desperate to go outside as hecomes in the house everyday for his exercise!

I am not sure if you are aware that indoor rabbits are also at risk of contracting VHD and myxie. VHD is often transmitted on our feet and clothing, myxie is transmitted on biting insects such as mosquitos which have already started to appear again now the weather is beginning to warm up.

I did not say but if your rabbit already has begun to show hormonal changes the early he is neutered the better as some of these hormonal behaviour changes can become learnt behaviour, the quicker the hormones are decreased the less likely that these will continue or get worse.

Good luck

jabs can be done from the age of 10 weeks. males are just as territorial as females. when you put your hand do it slowly and let them see it, also give them a peice of food to keep them busy. has he got plenty of things to keep him busy when not eating?
emily

jabs can be done from the age of 10 weeks. males are just as territorial as females. when you put your hand do it slowly and let them see it, also give them a peice of food to keep them busy. has he got plenty of things to keep him busy when not eating?
emily

oh yeah he's got toys and a tunnel which he likes to show off with!!
i think i may do the food to keep him occupied thing even though he's not too bad at the mo, i just dont want him to get worse!

Back