• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice...please!

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, :wave:

I'm new to this so i hope it works!
I have a French Lop called Lopsy, shes around 9months old! (I will get some pics up if i know how)
I recently had her spayed (yesterday) she was v.sleepy and the Vet said she had eaten small amounts. Wanted to keep her but i wanted to bring her home, thinking she would settle more. She didnt, no eating, no drinking, no weeing or pooing. She felt cold aswell. So i rang Vets and took her back! They kept her over night. Gave her some more painkillers and some fluids!
I rang today they said she was eating and okay to come home. I had a chat with Vet and brought her home.

She usually lives outside in a shed with has my other bunnies in, but i thought best to bring her inside whilst she recovers. Is this the best idea?? or should i put her back outside but in a Hutch?

She is eating but only the Veg i am giving her.
She doesnt seem to be drinking water though...
She is pooing..
She is v.miserable, is this due to her "new change"

It really has being a hard few days..its a big step and the right step having her done.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks, Natalie :D

i'm sure alot of people recommend bringing bunny in while they recover from spays and neuters. have you tried tempting her with some warm water? alot of buns really enjoy it so i'd give it a try. mine loves it from his own little cup.

maybe mashing some pellets with warm water to encorage her to eat.

i can't give advice on why she could be miserable but i would imagine it would have something to do with the op! i wouldn't be jumping for joy! :lol:

hope she recovers asap! x

Hi

Looking at your post I would assume that Lopsy was neutered on Wednesday. The really important issues at the moment is that Lopsy is eating, drinking and pooing.

You mention that she is eating veg which is good, is she eating hay and her pellets? Some rabbits are a little sluggish in getting eating post neuter and really need to be encouraged. Like Lauralou has suggested mash some of her pellets with water, mashing some unsweetened stewed apple in with the pellets can also help, try tempting her with freshly cut grass, parsley. If the quantity of food starts to decrease do contact your vet again as a gut stimulant may be required. It is also worth feeling your rabbits abdomen to check if it is hard or sounds hollow when you tap on it, if it is speak to your vet immediatly.

You mention that she doesnt seem to be drinking water though, hoepfully this has improved since you posted quite a few hours ago, vegetables fortunately have some water in them but not enough to keep your rabbit adequately hydrated. If she still has not drunk and you only have a bottle available, do offer a bowl as sometimes post neuter rabbits prefer bowls, a couple of drops of unsweetened apple juice can sometimes do the trick if it is added to the water. If this doesnt work syringe feeding small amounts of water will be required. If you havent got syringes contact your vet or local pharmacy.

She is pooing. You should be noticing these gettting larger in volume and size. If they reduce in size or amount contact your vet.

She is v.miserable, a few female rabbits are withdrawn post surgery, this can be due to a combination of pain from surgery, GI disturbance, change of routine and circumstance. Do find out if your vet administered any long acting pain relief, if they didnt and Flopsy is still looking miserable discuss this with you vet. With regard to change of circumstance / routine ... was your rabbit living with another rabbit prior to the surgery, if they were bring them indoors and put them back with the rabbit as rabbits will recover quicker when they are with their bonded partners. As soon as Flopsy has recovered adequately return her to her normal home.

Thankyou!
She seems alot better this morning, shes eaten all the veg i put in and attempted to eat some of her museli!
I put a bowl in last night which she has either drunk or tipped over lol!
Some water has gone from the water bottle too which is great!
A few more poo's aswell.
She isnt eating hay or her hanging treats.

I have all my rabbits in a shed.
Lopsy runs around the floor with access to a hutch.
My other rabbits and guinea pigs are in hutches.
I have another neutered male, who is still very aggressive so he lives on his own.

I will prob put Lopsy back out once i can be sure she is eating properly and drinking!
I will let her have a run around the house tonight if she wants to come out and see how she goes.

Cant wait for the weather to pass, i have recently purchased a 10foot run by 5foot by 4foot high with two hutches either side. Cant wait to get them out!

Thanks for your help!
Feeling much better!
I may try mash her hard food if she hasnt eaten any, also im going to try the apple juice in water!

Thankyouuuu! :D

UPDATE!!

Lopsy is feeling better - kicking over her food bowl - thats the usual lopsy i know hehehe!

Had Lopsy out tonight, although she wouldnt come out on her own, needed abit of encouragement lol!

She sat still at first but then gave in and had a nosey around! Was great to see her feeling better in herself!!

I have her on towels atm so i changed her towel.
She still doesnt seem to be drinking as much so i have taken some advice and used warm water!

Shes started eating her museli too!
She hopped back in her hutch, she doesnt v.happy with me lol so i gave her some of her fav treats and she ate them out of my hand so im feeling loads better!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!!:wave:

xx

Glad she is feeling better.

Just one thing to add is to try and discourage her from jumping up at anything for a few days otherwise she could hurt herself internally.

Got any photos of her? We love photos on here, well ok I do :lol:

Glad she is feeling better.

Just one thing to add is to try and discourage her from jumping up at anything for a few days otherwise she could hurt herself internally.

Got any photos of her? We love photos on here, well ok I do :lol:

Yeah i know, she usually lives outside in a shed, so i brought her into the house for a while to keep her warm and calm.

Im glad too it really has been hard watchin her feel so down!

Photo0041.jpg

Thats her around 7Months old, shes 9Months now :)

Back