• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any tricks for giving Baytril? Alternative to syringe?

Having got through all his complications after castration and finally been reintroduced to his friend Bongo, Bertie has developed a mild respiratory infection - had a little white discharge from his nose last night but otherwise was bright and eating, so took him straight to the vets this morning. The vet is happy that it hasn't developed much and agrees that it is more likely stress related and changing temperatures. I had been feeding some coneflower (dried purple echinacea) from Pets@Home as figured this was probably very low strength but might help him deal with the stress, but obviously not.

Poor Bertie is on Baytril 2x a day again, but he found this really stressful last month after his surgery (he struggles, jerks his head even when wrapped tightly in a towel and also refuses to swallow). Does anyone know any other way/tricks for getting Baytril into a bunny apart from syringe feeding - small bit of soaked food of some kind perhaps? Anything to keep his stress levels down. Thanks!

Having got through all his complications after castration and finally been reintroduced to his friend Bongo, Bertie has developed a mild respiratory infection - had a little white discharge from his nose last night but otherwise was bright and eating, so took him straight to the vets this morning. The vet is happy that it hasn't developed much and agrees that it is more likely stress related and changing temperatures. I had been feeding some coneflower (dried purple echinacea) from Pets@Home as figured this was probably very low strength but might help him deal with the stress, but obviously not.

Poor Bertie is on Baytril 2x a day again, but he found this really stressful last month after his surgery (he struggles, jerks his head even when wrapped tightly in a towel and also refuses to swallow). Does anyone know any other way/tricks for getting Baytril into a bunny apart from syringe feeding - small bit of soaked food of some kind perhaps? Anything to keep his stress levels down. Thanks!

Aww poor Bertie :cry: I have heard people try on small pieces or toast or banana - or whatever his favorite food is. I have only ever syringed so can't say how successful it is. Maybe just do some experimenting. Good Luck x

Lynda (Bunnyhuggger) soaks some pellets and drips it onto them - a few pellets would be all that is needed, and you could hand feed him them if you wanted to :D

I choose to inject Baytril with difficult buns. I even give metacam this way (they are NOT the same as the oral prescriptions) if it is a rabbit who finds taking meds very stressful. Sometimes I think the stress makes them worse so giving meds via sub-c is easier for both of is. Though I do have doing it!! If your vet is willing to show you how it might be easier in the long run, but remember the oral strengths will be different so make sure if you do it this way have the correct meds and dosages....

Thanks. A little square of toast was my first idea and the vet also said a bit of orange juice might help to mask the taste as apparently it's bitter, so this will be my first attempt as I eat both of these things for brekkie anyway! I've syringe fed other rabbits without major problems, but he really hates it - possibly he is also mentally linking it with having that lampshade on as well. He's never tried to nip or anything though, good little lad. My vets probably would be willing to train me to inject as a last resort as they know I'm a zoologist so have pretty good anatomical knowledge, but I'll try conning with treats first. He doesn't like banana much - carrot is his favourite, maybe not the easiest to try but I could try grating some and mixing it and few pellets too perhaps. I'll let you know what works (hopefully something will!)

Thanks. A little square of toast was my first idea and the vet also said a bit of orange juice might help to mask the taste as apparently it's bitter, so this will be my first attempt as I eat both of these things for brekkie anyway! I've syringe fed other rabbits without major problems, but he really hates it - possibly he is also mentally linking it with having that lampshade on as well. He's never tried to nip or anything though, good little lad. My vets probably would be willing to train me to inject as a last resort as they know I'm a zoologist so have pretty good anatomical knowledge, but I'll try conning with treats first. He doesn't like banana much - carrot is his favourite, maybe not the easiest to try but I could try grating some and mixing it and few pellets too perhaps. I'll let you know what works (hopefully something will!)

He he good luck!! I usually don't have a problem syringe feeding meds, but I have one particular big lop who is usually very friendly and affectionate, but turns into this monster when I try to give him meds after his dentals (he has severe jaw abnormalities) and he literally tries to take chunks out of me including my hands and legs!! I can't give him anything via syringe. He is very sensitive about being touched on or around his nose :shock:

I mush up a few pellets with boiling water, leave to cool then mix in the baytril - if they're good and hungry first thing in the morning they'll eat it :)

My vets reccommend to mix it with equal amounts of ribena to sweeten the taste. With the difficult rabbits i have also mixed it with baby food in the syringe. Hipp do a 'tender carrott and potatoe' jar that my rabbits seem to love, they lick it all up!

We always put the baytril on some wholemeal bread and let it soak in a bit, works every time, and it soaks in better than toast.

Good luck.

I either syringe it with pineapple juice, or pop it on a piece of pear (it soaks in really easily) and feed it that way.

I either lace carrot tops with it or if it's Inky (who bites when given baytril by syringe:shock:), I squirt it onto his front paws and he licks it off straight away:).

I allways syringe it, but have heard of people using a basil leaf to put it in, as it is shaped almost like i bowl you can put it in.

Back