• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

we lost beautiful, big Bertha today.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We lost our Bertha today, when I went to check on them this morning I knew she wasn't right, not eating her carrot and looking very tucked up. I rushed her into the vet who could feel a lump in her abdomen. She was scanned and x-rayed and it was uterine cancer, worse it had spread into her lungs and there were at least half a dozen tumours there, saw the x-rays myself. So we had to let her go, I was with her while she was injected and sat with her until she was gone.

Since joining this forum I've been trying to decide whether to get my girls spayed, I hadn't realised cancer was so common, and I didn't realise it was so aggressive, also I was scared to put my girls through it, as most of them are rescues and are some are getting on in age. Anyway, I will start next week to get them done one at a time.

At the moment my biggest concern is Snowy, he was Bertha's buddy and is looking very lost tonight, I will try and bond him with one of the other girls, but after they are spayed. I put him in a run next to Jessica tomorrow, hopefully another girl next to him will take his mind off Bertha a bit.

:cry:So sorry for your loss.
I was petrified of having Angel spayed but since being a member here i realized it was for the best.

I'm so sorry.

It never fails to amaze me how well bunnies cover up their illnesses to the very last minute.

Binky free Bertha

Sorry for your loss, I know how you must be feeling as the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.:cry:

Thanks everybody, my O/H Mike has been away all week, but is home now. Its a sad homecoming for him, he's as fond of the animals as I am and Bertha was the bunny we'd had the longest. We got her as a companion for Benji, when his girls died, she came from a local rescue 5 years ago. We don't know her age, all we know is she turned up in at the rescue in a cat basket strapped to the roofwrack:evil: After Benji died she was paired with Sam. They were a very happy couple, sadly he died due to abscesses. Then Snowy came along, he was a foster and we tried to pair him with a white lop girl but they just didn't get on. We were never happy about rehoming Snowy, as he had come from a drug user, whose friend thought it was fun to kick the cage and he was kept next to a ferret. We decided to try him with Bertha and it was the easiest pairing we've ever done. She used to be frantic in the mornings to get her chest scratched and would groom you while you did it.

we are all sorry for your loss. are thought are with you and berthas partner, bunnies are sending their vibes. all my girls are spayed.
emily

:cry: so sorry for your loss....bunnies always shock you by being so ill when you thought they were a little off colour. poor bertha...but she had a good life with you. her poor husbun..yes being alongside another bun will be company at least for now..its what we did for bif when she lost her husbun and bertie came to keep her company and has stayed.

my thoughts go out to the surving husbun and to you and your OH..its never easy..its not supposed to be but it does give you a lesson learnt each time in its own way....

some does are too old and frail or allergic to a GA and sadly the cancer statistics is very high. So dont beat yourself up over this..xxx

I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry: My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Back