• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with sexing baby rabbits

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I've been asked to sex a litter of rabbits, i was taught how to do it a few years ago but i'm not very confident. The person who's asked me to do it, has not got a clue & refuses to take them to the vet, if i don't at least give it a go, they'll end up shoved in the same cage & we all know what will happen then.Anyone know of any websites/ pictures that could help me? The litter is 6 weeks old.

:wave: thank you

Sorry, posted this in the wrong place :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There's a thread on this in FAQ - with pics!;)

TP:)

ETA: 6 weeks is quite young though - I think it's easier the bigger they get?

Hi I have just sexed my 7 baby buns, at 7 weeks. The only way I could do it was to remember that is the slit goes al the way to the bum then it's a girl if not then a boy... I hope i'm right!!!! :shock:

I can usually tell around 6-8 weeks. It all depends on how much experience you have, some breeders can sex them at 4 weeks others as newborns:shock:

some breeders can sex them at 4 weeks others as newborns:shock:

i was told that you can sex newborn baby rabbits well about 4 days old by the way they pee on your hand i think is a gush of wee for girl and a dribble for boys but could be the other way round cant remember lol nothing better then getting wee'd on by a baby bun lol

i was told that you can sex newborn baby rabbits well about 4 days old by the way they pee on your hand i think is a gush of wee for girl and a dribble for boys but could be the other way round cant remember lol nothing better then getting wee'd on by a baby bun lol

Yes...I know they wee... I don't have count of how many times I've held a young rabbit and suddenly felt wet:shock: They're like little squirt guns! (Warning: using a bunny as a squirt gun is not recommended as they can get dehydrated:lol:)
NEVER rub a baby-bunny's belly. You'll get wet:roll:
I haven't noticed any difference in boy or girl that way though. I just get wet. :lol:

Generally at 6 weeks plus its pretty obvious if yu have a boy or girl just be comparing them to each other.

The problem you will have is if, like I have in the past, you end up with a litter all the same sex :shock::shock: I had a small litter of all bucks!

Thanks everyone - i did try to tell them it would be easier to sex them at about 8 weeks, but they wanted a rough idea of what they had.I looked in FAQ but couldn't find anything, has anyone got a link? sorry to be a pain!
:wave: thanks

Back