• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The vets and an umbilical hernia...

jane28

Alpha Buck
Well my two went to the vets today for their Mixi vac and were complete stars... Bandit (who has been renamed from Maggie) the grey mini lop, just plonked herself down on the table and sat there while the check up was done. She weighs 22.5 and when put back in the carrier chowed down on some spring greens straight away :roll:
Beetlejuice (renamed from Birdie) my black mini lop, weighed in at 20kg (guess who eats all the pies then :roll:) and was a bit more inquisitive and moved when the needle went in resulting in the vet stabbing herself in the finger with the mixi jab :oops:...
One plaster later and they were both done.

Well..... Back home they have now turned into the aloof and slightly annoyed bunnies they were before. Bandit giving a good thump when back in the hutch...

Women eh?:roll::lol:

On a more serious note Beetlejuice has a lump which the vet thinks could be an umbilical hernia... There doesnt seem to be anything inside it (she sauid something about intestines???) so she is the first to be spayed and that investigated... Anyone else had a bunny with a possible hernia? Shes 2 years old approx...

Must get pictures up....:oops:

Last edited:
Well my two went to the vets today for their Mixi vac and were complete stars... Bandit (who has been renamed from Maggie) the grey mini lop, just plonked herself down on the table and sat there while the check up was done. She weighs 22.5 and when put back in the carrier chowed down on some spring greens straight away :roll:
Beetlejuice (renamed from Birdie) my black mini lop, weighed in at 20kg (guess who eats all the pies then :roll:) and was a bit more inquisitive and moved when the needle went in resulting in the vet stabbing herself in the finger with the mixi jab :oops:...

I hope you've got their weight wrong..... 20kg!!!!! is huge, over 40lbs..... maybe 2.0kg.

Umbilical hernia's are reasonably common in kittens and puppies, never heard of it in a rabbit but its easy enough to solve in dogs and cats with a small op at the time of neutering. Its a hole in the muscle where the belly buttom is and just needs stitching together, the bulge that pops out is the intestines.

Last edited:
One plaster later and they were both done.

Well..... Back home they have now turned into the aloof and slightly annoyed bunnies they were before. Bandit giving a good thump when back in the hutch...

Women eh?:roll::lol:

On a more serious note Beetlejuice has a lump which the vet thinks could be an umbilical hernia... There doesnt seem to be anything inside it (she sauid something about intestines???) so she is the first to be spayed and that investigated... Anyone else had a bunny with a possible hernia? Shes 2 years old approx...

Must get pictures up....:oops:

My bunny had an inguinal hernia after being neutered and he also had a tapeworm abscess in his abdomen :shock::shock:

I have had a bun with an umbilical hernia and she was op'd on and absolutely fine afterwards.

Yep Sorry :oops: I put the weight down wrong... :lol:

She is eating fine, running around and other than that is in great condition... I will know more when she is under the knife but i got a bit worried when the vet said it...

Back