• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Passing Blood

Samburu

New Kit
Hi

I am new to the forum :wave: nice to meet you guys.
Unfortunatley my question is not a very positive one. Yesterday one of my Rabbits was passing blood when she went for a wee.
I checked this morning and her wee now seem to be fine, no signs of any blood. I thought I would take her to the vets to be on the safe side, which I am doing at 5pm, I was just wondering have any of you guys had this experience with any of your rabbits, if so what was the cause of it.

Are you sure it was blood? Rabbit wee varies in colour from clear to dark red, depending on the foods they've eaten (lots of veggies often causes dark wee).

If it is blood, then it's probably a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), which can be caused by a number of things..primarily bladder sludge from excess calcium, or a bacterial infection.

If it is a UTI, your vet will probably give you an antibiotic such a baytril. They may also want to take an x-ray of the bladder if the problem doesn't clear up.

Good luck at the vets, and let us know how you get on :D

Amy

I have a bun that was passing blood and it turned out she had a burst blood vessel, Try and not to worry (easier said than done I know):D

Back