• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bath time

leggy

Young Bun
I gave my 8 week old bunny a bath today. When he poops it seems to stick round his bottom. This is also happening to my adult male. I like to keep them clean as i worry about flystrike:( How often is it ok to bath them and what shampoo do you use.

Hiya,

It's best to avoid bathing as much as possible. Try baby wipes or a damp cloth first. If you do have to resort to a bath just bath the bum using a few inches of water in a bowl/sink.

The best solution is to get to the bottom (excuse the pun) of the problem causing it. Often it's diet related issues. What foods to they eat and in what proportions?

Tamsin

You shouldn't need to bath a bunny at all. If things get really bad then you should clean what you can using wipes, cornflour or at the most a little dunk of just that area in some warm water. If both buns are having the problem then it's likely to be caused by too rich a diet. What are you feeding them?

If I need to clean Hugo's bum I just fill the sink with a bit of warmish water and rabbit shampoo and gently rinse it out.
Then dried him as well as possible towels hair drier but from a distance not to burn him and so on.

Last edited:
Thanks all:D I only got the baby the other day,an the others were in a right state the hutch they were in fell apart when we got it out of the van.where it had soaked up huge quanities of urine.the roof came off in my hubbys hands and when he pushed it from the side it toppled over off its legs.he took it to the tip and had to leave the window open the rest of the day.:(

sorry forgot to add,the baby was on a pellet diet with the breeder,and the other 2 were on mr johnsons supreme but slowly weaning onto pellet diet.they have a few greens and lots of hay.:)

sorry forgot to add,the baby was on a pellet diet with the breeder,and the other 2 were on mr johnsons supreme but slowly weaning onto pellet diet.they have a few greens and lots of hay.:)

I think you are supposed to introduce changes in the diet slowly. If you change to fast and too much their tummy can't cope. Especially in babies.

Yours sounds like a lovely little bunny, I hope he will get better soon :)

That sounds good :) It is the pellets and veg that can sometimes cause a mucky bottom if fed in excess as they are high in protein - how much do they get?

I give a small scoop of the dry food then some sliced carrot some grass maybe a cabbage leave and some apple:) They also get weeds ie dandys plantain and so on i feed weeds to my torts so pic some for the rabbits now. Obviasly i dont feed all this on the same day:oops:

Back