• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad Bum!

SAR

Young Bun
Hi

I was wondering if you could help. My mini lop bunny - Molly is 2 years old and has always suffered from a bad bottom - really bad, I take her to the pets monthly to have her cleaned but the next day it starts to get bad again, the last time the vet said I should try to bath her myself - well - that was a complete disaster - she hated it and is shivering in my living room covered in towells and looking very cross.

Is there a better food that she could eat - at the moment both my bunnies eat excel and eat Timothy Hay - they have a bit of veg occasionally but this seems to upset Molly's bottom even more, I let them have a treat once a week but has anyone any suggestions as I feel really mean for bathing her as I'm worried she might have a heart attack as she gets so stressed.

Please help

Sarah x

PS: I'm sorry that I only seem to come on here when I have problems but its the only place that seems to give me ideas

I would switch to a pellet that is higher in fibre (16% or higher is good) - excel is well known for upsetting tummys in delicate bunnies. The pets at home brand is also made by excel I believe so avoid that too.

Science selective is popular (a little pricey but no more than excel I think, Also Allen & Page is popular and cheaper).

Lots of hay (any hay) and water is best until the tummy is more settled. Veg may always upset her - but if her pellets are changed to a more suitable one she may be able to enjoy a little veg as well.

One last point when changing her pellets - do it gradually over a week or so to allow her tummy to adjust.

Good Luck

Maria x

I have the exact same problem with my bun. Ive tried the excel pellets and she wont touch them so she is currently on russell rabbit mix which im trying for the first time having fed chudleys rabbit royale (i think its called but its hard to get hold of). She gets veg a couple of times a week but still has a messy bum and doesnt eat all her caecals.

It used to be very bad but the vet told me to feed her only hay for about a week then cut down on her dry food so she just gets a handful at bed time which lasts her the whole day and she does eat all of it, and also to cut out all treats. This helped alot. The only treats she gets now are the excel nature snacks (you know the ones that look like cigars!) and some of the packets of herbs etc from the natural range at P@H.

It is always alot worse when she gets fed veg but i feel mean never giving her any and she doesnt get it alot so its a pain as she drops wet poos around the house by accident and i have to go around on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpet!

so sarah i feel your pain and hopefully some people have some good ideas how to help!

Claire & Shadow x

When you bathed her did you clean her all over??? I only clean Mistys downstairs and towel her dry, dont think there is any major need to properly bathe her:?

Definately try Science Selective (SS). You'll have to change the pellets over slowly though.

My bun had overly wet droppings so I changed him from Excel to Science Selective. I also try different types of hay to keep the interest in it up. Should clear up nicely.

Don't give too much veg and friut either.

it might even be worth cutting the pellets out all together for a while and see how bun gets on with a hay and veg diet?

when ever my bun gets lazy about eating cecals, i cut out pellets for a couple of days. this was mainly when he was very small but it always worked.

Hi :wave:

Sorry to hear you're having such problems.

When one of mine used to get particulary messy I used to wrap her in a towel like a baby (to stop her struggling and hurting herself), and gently tease the mess away with soft unscented baby wipes.

Other than that it's hay hay and more hay, I know you will feel mean, but it's worth it in the long run.

Good Luck :)

Hi

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice. I have now ordered Science Selective and I am going to cut out all treats and will give them less pellets.

With regards to bathing her - I did only mean to do her bottom but she sort of dived bombed into the water out of fear (I think) - I was not prepared so nice time I will try and be more careful.

Thanks again - over the last couple of years this site has been fantastic for bunny info.

sarah x

Hiya,

SS seems to get a paws up for the most tasty and seems to do better on bums too so hopefully that will help your issue. Hiding the pellets in the hay can help encourage them to eat more.

When bathing, I fill a washing up bowl with an inch or two (at most) or water. they stand them in it. Two people works better as you have one to hold and one to bum wash :) That way you can avoid them getting too wet :)

Tamsin

Hi, I used to have this problem with one of mine and changed to Excel which made things worse, also tried SS. I then discovered Oxbow Bunny Basics T and thankfully this sorted it out. It is more expensive than others but has made life for me and my bun much easier.

I used to hold my rabbit like a baby and bathe with Johnson's small animal shampoo with a cotton wool pad (only damp) each day, twice a day if necessary and dry properly.

You have to be so careful especially as the flies are starting to come out withe the "warmer" weather.

Hope Molly is improves soon.

Back