• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi I'm new with a question about hutches

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Hi all completely new to this and about to buy two mini lop babies either two females or a male and female (obviously to be neutered) I have looked at lots of articles etc but one thing I can't seem to find is if your rabbits are OK to share a hutch as long as its big enough or do I need to buy a double hutch so that there are two sleeping areas - sorry if I sound dense I am planning on getting the biggest one I can find/afford to the guidelines but it seems to only give guidelines for one rabbit not two everywhere I have looked

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It doesn't have to be double but for two small breeds, it needs to be a min. of 5ftx2ftx2ft single or 4ftx2ftx2ft double. Preferably, get as big of a hutch as you can afford.

A small shed is always a good idea if you have room for one, or a playhouse. I had a big hutch made as couldn't find any well made, good size hutches in shops.

Hi all completely new to this and about to buy two mini lop babies either two females or a male and female (obviously to be neutered) I have looked at lots of articles etc but one thing I can't seem to find is if your rabbits are OK to share a hutch as long as its big enough or do I need to buy a double hutch so that there are two sleeping areas - sorry if I sound dense I am planning on getting the biggest one I can find/afford to the guidelines but it seems to only give guidelines for one rabbit not two everywhere I have looked

Thanks for your help!

Have you thought about approaching a Rescue? They would come neutered then, & you wouldn't have to separate while you neuter the male:D

I have a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch with an added 5ftx5ft run attached it works well but I wish I had the room for a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch but there is no more room on the patio :rolleyes:

Have you thought about approaching a Rescue? They would come neutered then, & you wouldn't have to separate while you neuter the male:D

I'll second that, works out a lot less stressful and less money in the long run. I wish I'd known about bunny runs and things when I got my first bun.

As for the hutch they can live together in the same area happily. If you look through the stories and photos section you'll see lots of buns snuggling together.

There was a lovely thread here if you want a preview. ;)
http://forum.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116152&highlight=valentines

Last edited:
Definitely get your bunnies from a rescue. I got Maizie from a rescue to bond with Charlie -very rewarding knowing you've helped a bunny or 2.

Agreed - adopt from a rescue. Apparently bonded pairs are harder to rehome so you would be doing a double good thing (if you see what I mean).

I am going through bonding hell at the moment and although I wouldn't swap Arthur for the world the thought of a ready spayed/neutered, vac'd, health checked, loved up couple is really appealing.

rehoming from a rescue is the way forward, the rspca near me vaccinate and neuter their buns and they are only £20 each, cheaper than a pet shop bunny that will need to be neutered and vaccinated, will save you money to put towards a great hutch. and you can get an already bonded pair x

They can but obviously the hutch must be big enough for them both to have space to hop around, and they must be rabbits that "get along" together.

If you get a pair from a rescue who are already bonded, you won't ahve the stress of buying two and then having a crisis when they fall out. :)

have you decided where to buy your hutch from? a good site is www.happyhutch.com - their hutches are very big and well designed, I have one which I like a lot. good luck with your new rabbits :wave:

I have a 5ftx2ftx2ft hutch with an added 5ftx5ft run attached it works well but I wish I had the room for a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch but there is no more room on the patio :rolleyes:

Hi thanks for all the advice where did you get your 5ft hutch from do you
have a website address or anything?

Back