• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats causing it?

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
the bloke i work with who lost his bunny to a fox got two new babies a few weeks ago (different litters same woman).. one of them got red eyelids and then within a few days had mucus coming from its nose and was put down. the other one is currently back with the woman who sold him the bunnies with the same symptons.. they think it is viral as opposed to myxi. the scary thing is he bought a 3rd bunny to replace the one who died last week.. it has been put in quareenteen (sp) within the house but without a definate diagnosis he doesnt know how at risk his new bunny is.

any ideas on what it could be if Mxyi has been ruled out?

his vet is also refusing to give the myxi jab because the bunny is too small for the jab.. alvin was 900g and he was jabbed.. is there a minimum weight? apparently the vet keeps bunnies himself so its a scary thought if hes not rabbit savvy :(

I don't know so I went and googled the symptoms for suggestions:

Pasteurellosis? That seems to include mucus from the nose and runny/irritated eyes?:?

TP

ETA: The only other thing I could find was a bad case of "snuffles"? - Sorry I'm not much help, sure somebody wiser will help shortly.;)

Last edited:
his wife and little girl are in bits, if its so common how has it not been diagnosed... i shall get him to read up on it and get back onto the woman who sold him the poor little babies :'(
what can he do for his little one to stop her catching it... hes got rid of everything the other babies have touched but hes worried it may be in the carpets (what ever it is) i cant seem to find an incubation period or how long it survives out of a host :(

his wife and little girl are in bits, if its so common how has it not been diagnosed... i shall get him to read up on it and get back onto the woman who sold him the poor little babies :'(
what can he do for his little one to stop her catching it... hes got rid of everything the other babies have touched but hes worried it may be in the carpets (what ever it is) i cant seem to find an incubation period or how long it survives out of a host :(

i believe all buns carry pasturella bacteria but some buns get the ailment others dont i dont know about incubation times im afraid but it can be treated with anti biotics.

i dont know what to suggest about the vet not diagnosing what the bun had either its not pasturella or the vet is not savvy enough?

have a look on here chuck xx

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm

most bacteria can only survive a short time outside a host (unless in a nice warm moist cosy environment). Bleach is good for killing most bacteria.

HOWEVER! If the new bunnys came from the same woman, in all likelyhood they too will be infected.

Also I'm not sure that there is a minimum vacination weight but our vet wont vaxinate before 10 weeks old.

I would def suggest he gets his buns from elsewhere. Poor family must be so upset

theres a good chance after this they wont want anymore buns anyhows...
he said hes been researching all lunch and has sent a fax to the woman with a list of questions for the vet as shes going again this afternoon..

didnt want to pry too deep but i get the impression shes some sort of shop as the buns have come from two different breeders to her... they must have had other buns get sick too :cry::cry:

Back