• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back in the cage?

CoSmo

New Kit
Hi Guys,

I've been playing with my little Cosmo for the last two nights, as he now (at 10 weeks) seems very eager to want to get out of his cage and hop around and explore a bit.

Getting him out - not a problem
.....Getting him back in, chaos :lol:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get him back into his cage. Is there a safe approach to doing this without him distrusting me. I get the feeling he may feel threatened by me chasing him around like a lunatic...:oops:

Please help- thanks in advance.
Cosmo

food worked for Alvin.. now i only have to walk thro to the other room and both rabbits come charging all i have to do is close the pen around them ;)

I second that. Food works a treat. You can also train him to understand a word. Every time you put food in his cage say a set word and he'll soon start to go to his cage when you say the word. (make sure he gets a titbit).

I get the feeling he may feel threatened by me chasing him around like a lunatic...

Or he may just like running rings round you and watching you get frustrated :lol:

I play 'chase' with Muppet but in a gentle way, round the garden. He thinks it's hilarious. I dont bother to chase him to catch him, as I know it'll never work. The best I can do is to follow him determinedly and hope he goes in the direction I want!

He's learnt to avoid all sorts of cunning ploys but is always happy to come in for food. I save a couple of pellets from his breakfast and just rattle them in the bowl when it's time for him to come in.

Do u let your bunnies smell or rattle the food?

Thanks for that, just one question though?

...Do i let him smell the food and lead him to his cage or do i rattle it in his little pot for him to hear...sorry, new to this all and still learning...:oops:

CoSmo is so fast aswell :p

Looking forward to you comments.

CoSmo

i put half a dozen pellets in for marble, i tap on the side of the food bowl and marble comes running. i was clicker training marble, but now we have alfie and they are housed separately i have stopped using the clicker until they are able to be together and called together with the clicker.

I always used to feed my bunnies at bedtime. Usually veggies and id show them it so they could smell it then go to their cage calling them and put the food in. Now when its bedtime they often hear me open the fridge and come downstairs then race me upstairs to their roo cos they know whats coming :D

What do u feed them during the day??

Hiya,

Thanks for that, so what do u feed them during the day?
Is hay sufficient until bedtime? - then i can give him the regular handful of pellets?

Let me know, very interesting :D

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Thanks,

CoSmo.:bunny:

Had the same problem with my bun- so i cheat! I take the top off the cage and let him walk into it- sometimes he'll run out again but when he's settled eating something i put the top back on!

It doesn't really matter when you give them their pellets.find a routine that suits you and stick to it. Mine have their pellets in the morning and hay all day. When they come back into their hutch from the garden they have a small leaf of spring greens or similar.

Back