• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad Sad Day...billy

billysmom

Mama Doe
:cry:JUST TO THANK EVERYONE WHO AS REALLY HELPED ME WITH BILLY, IM FINDING THIS EXTREMELY HARD AS IM HEARTBROKEN,:cry: AS MANY OF YOU KNOW BILLY AS HAD 2 OPS IN 6WKS FOR THOSE :censored: ABCESSES, I TOOK HIM STRAIGHT UP MONDAY MORNING TO VETS TO GET AN XRAY OF HIS SKULL TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON, I PACKED HIM HIS PACKED LUNCH AND KISSED HIM AS USUAL.AS USUAL I SOBBED MY HEART OUT WHEN IT WAS TIME TO HAND HIM OVER, THE RECEPTIONIST SAW HOW UPSET I WAS AND FETCHED THE VET OUT TO ME, WHO WAS VERY UNDERSTANDING.I THEN RECEIVED A CALL AT 11.30AM TO SAY BILLYS ABCESSES ARE DOWN TO MOLAR ERUPTION AND THATS WHY AFTER ONLY 8-10 DAYS THEY ARE REAPPEARING:cry:.SHE SAID I COULD TAKE HIM HOME AND INJECT HIM DAILY ALONG WITH PAINKILLER AND ANTIBIOTICS, AND SEE HOW HE COPES BUT THAT THE OUTCOME FOR BILLY WAS BLEAK.I LOVE MY BILLY LIKE A CHILD, IHE FOLLOWS ME EVERYWERE AND IS MY BEST FRIEND, I BOUGHT BILLY AFTER I LOST MY DAD 3YRS AGO:cry:IVE TREATED HIM LIKE MY BABY AND HES GAVEN ME SO MUCH LOVE THAT I DIDNT WANT HIM TO SUFFER ANYMORE.BILLY WAS PUT TO SLEEP AT 12 NOON:cry:MY EYES HAVENT STOPPED CRYING I WENT STRAIGHT UP AND HELD HIM HE LOOKED SO BEAUTIFUL AS HE WAS A GORGEOUS LITTLE MAN IN MY EYES THE BEST.I RETURNED HOME WITH THE SHAKES AND WANTING HIM BACK, I KNOW IVE PUT BILLY FIRST BUT IT HURTS SO MUCH, DONT THINK I WILL EVER GET OVER THIS OR MY BOYS.THE VET DID SHOW ME HIS XRAYS AND EXPLAINED BUT I FEEL SO BAD OVER IT.I WENT BACK UP TODAY AND SPOKE TO BILLYS VET AGAIN WHO ALWAYS MAKES TIME FOR ME, I JUST NEED ANSWERS EVEN THOUGH I HAVE DONE RIGHT FOR BILLY, BUT WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH..LOVE YOU BILLY...:cry:BINKY FREE MY SPECIAL BOYXXXX PS HE ALSO PASSED ON MY DADS BIRTHDAY.

I am so sorry you had to go through that but I think you did the right thing by Billy. He had a happy 3 years with you and thats the main thing to focus on. He obviously loved you very much I know it doesn't make it any easier but try to focus on all the happy memories. :cry:
Poor you *HUGS*

:cry:DONT THINK I WILL EVER BE ABLE TO GET OVER LOSING HIM, IM QUESTIONING MYSELF CONSTANTLY.I TOLD THE VET I WOULD DO ANYTHING AND PAY FOR ANY TREATMENT TO MAKE HIM BETTER.

:cry:DONT THINK I WILL EVER BE ABLE TO GET OVER LOSING HIM, IM QUESTIONING MYSELF CONSTANTLY.I TOLD THE VET I WOULD DO ANYTHING AND PAY FOR ANY TREATMENT TO MAKE HIM BETTER.

daily injections with a bleak outlook wouldnt have been anygood for either of you hun... you really need to remember that.. you dont want to remember your boy suffering for the little time he would of had left.. xxxxx

PS HE ALSO PASSED ON MY DADS BIRTHDAY.

......and your Dad will take very good care of Billy until you can all be reunited again.

I am so sorry that, for now, you have had to say farewell to Billy. I am CERTAIN that he will never be far away, just as your Dad remains close by.
We may not be able to see or touch our lost loved ones, but as long as we remember them they will never really be 'gone'

Janex

:cry:THANKYOU JANE, YOU ARE RIGHT MY DAD NEVER LEFT ME IN LIFE THE SAME AS BILLY AND IM HOPING THEY ARE TOGETHER.I HARDLY KNOW YOU JANE BUT YOU HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TO US BOTH, THANKYOU.:cry:

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Billy.

Binky free at the bridge Billy.

Your mum knows that you will never be far away.

xx

I'm so so sorry.... :cry:
To be honest I think you made the bravest, least selfish decision in letting him go and not many people are able to do that. You allowed him to have a dignified ending and he is at peace now.
Guilt is such a wasted emotion and it will pass. You will always question whether or not you did the right thing as that is just a natural reaction. I'm sure your vet would have done anything to save Billy but sometimes things are just beyond our control. To be honest sometimes I think putting some bunnies under so many procedures we really do for our benefit and not theirs.
Billy was saved from having to suffer any more and that is such a blessing. You should feel honored that you could do that for him and I'm sure your dad is taking very good care of him.
His prognosis would never have been that good and by keeping him alive you would just have been prolonging the inevitable and we have no way of really knowing how much pain they are in, even if on pain killers.
I think you are very brave and Billy was lucky to have you as his mum.

:cry:THANKYOU JANE, YOU ARE RIGHT MY DAD NEVER LEFT ME IN LIFE THE SAME AS BILLY AND IM HOPING THEY ARE TOGETHER.I HARDLY KNOW YOU JANE BUT YOU HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TO US BOTH, THANKYOU.:cry:

I can totally empathise with how you feel about Billy. I feel the same as my now at The Bridge Bun Jack

Janex

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear this. Billy was very much loved though, and he knew that.
My Bobby is battling with a jaw abcess at the moment. He's doing ok at the moment, but I know there will come a time when I have to make this decision.
You did exactly the right thing by putting Billy first.
Sending you lots of hugs.

I can totally empathise with how you feel about Billy. I feel the same as my now at The Bridge Bun Jack

Janex

I do too about my bridge bun Charlie.... The only way I got through that time was finding comfort in the fact that we would be together again..

all are thoughts are with you:love::love::love::love: it has to be of the hardest things about owning animals:cry: been there many times and i still miss them all now. but my heart goes out to you. :love::love::love:
emily

Back