• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles cleared up-question

Hi there:wave:

Our orange mini rex Sun got snuffles about 8 months ago, after one of our elderly rescues passed it on. She had really bad white mucous from her nose and was wheezing and sneezing all the time. We moved her outside to stop risk of it spreading further as we had some vulnerable babies at the time. Shes been treated with antibios, probios and a lot of spoiling

For the past month or so Suns nose has been totally clear, and you wouldnt think from looking at her there was anything wrong. We no longer hear her sneezing or see any signs of difficulty breathing etc, and she is very lively and binkying everywhere. Living outside alone isnt exactly what we want for her, as she is only 4, and its diffcult to give her as much time and attention as our house bunnies get. We were wondering if anyone knows if it will ever be safe to bring her indoors again with the others? Is it safe now? Can snuffles just become totally cleared up like that? Ive read some conflicting information:?

Thank you very much, i really hope she can join the rest of the family in here again soon
100_6943-1.jpg

snffles

hi
i have 2 that have snuffles on and off. neo has had it for about 3 years and his partner erin so far has never had it! the smae with indie, his first partner and alice who he is with now hasnt yet had it, (even though she cleans his nose!!!!!!!:rolleyes:) one of the vets i go to suggested homeopathy treatments, they have eceanacea drops in their drinking water and sheperds purse in with their dried food. also feed them guinea pig food mixed in extra vit c. hope it helps:?
emily

hi
i have 2 that have snuffles on and off. neo has had it for about 3 years and his partner erin so far has never had it! the smae with indie, his first partner and alice who he is with now hasnt yet had it, (even though she cleans his nose!!!!!!!:rolleyes:) one of the vets i go to suggested homeopathy treatments, they have eceanacea drops in their drinking water and sheperds purse in with their dried food. also feed them guinea pig food mixed in extra vit c. hope it helps:?
emily

Thanx loads for the info, wed been thinking about homeopathic treatment if her symptoms continued but we were both surprised to see theyve just disappeared! But we realise they may come back which was another reason we were cautious. Were a bit confused because we have friends who have rabbits like yours who live together yet dont spread around the snuffles...yet as soon as we brought in a rescue girl with snuffles 2 of our other buns, including Sun, came down with it too:( :? So its a bit odd. Well just have to do a lot of asking around and research i think...Id hate to put the others at risk, but i also hate poor Sun being all alone and out there in miserable Gloucestershire weather

Thanx again for the info, well keep it in mind

:wave:

snuffles is an embedded bacteria inside the bunny. You can never kill the bacteria, you can only contain it so it doesn't come out. In other words, if the bunny is in stress, it will come out again. Some bunnies are borned w/ it.

snuffles is an embedded bacteria inside the bunny. You can never kill the bacteria, you can only contain it so it doesn't come out. In other words, if the bunny is in stress, it will come out again. Some bunnies are borned w/ it.

Yes, i understood this bit when our vet explained a while ago...what i dont understand is when it is "contained" and not coming out, is it safe for the bunny to mix with others? Because some people i know have snuffle buns around others and the others are fine, yet in our case we brought a snuffle bun in and our previously very healthy buns all became ill too:? I dont want Sun to be separate forever:( Its like bacteria they can be born with but when theyre stressed it gets out of control, right? But if its not in a flared up kind of way, does this make her safe to others? She looks fine and i hate her being out there alone

Sorry if im being dim:oops:

Last edited:
Currently, I have the same problem w/ Bernie. The very same disease. THe other bunny, Minnie is lonely and sits at the top of the stair waiting for attn. And what I did is continue to separate the two. (they were fighting anyway)

My plan is to give 3 weeks clear from the time Bernie is totally off any sign of sickness, they re-introduce them again.

So it all depends on your bun. IF from the time the snufles is gone, that it comes back in a few weeks, and the cycle repeats, then you have no choice but to separate that bun w/ the others forever.

It's better to separate them rather than infecting the rest. Because snuffles say only causes white puss on the nose on 1 bun, that same disease can cause head tilt (bacteria gets to the inner ear and damage the ear balance) on another bun if they interact. ie., the same disease from 1 bun can affect another bun more seriously

To compensate for their loss of companionship, say you take 4 un-infected bunnies to the backyard during the summer for their run, then just take the infected bun to the backyard at the end when the others are no longer near him, and the sun should kill the bacteria if there is any on the lawn.

So a few days later, you can do the above again as long as it is sunny days. And get them some toys to compensate for their loss of companionship

Back