• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conti Giant

leggy

Young Bun
hi i really like a conti giant bunny, we have a baby bunny and 2 freebies from the local paper,i was going to contact a local rabbit rescue to give a home to one and help a rescue out because i expect their overcrowded like any other animal rescue but hubby says they wont let us have one as we dont work and we have 5 dogs. the dogs only have outside access to the rear garden and the rabbits & hens we have are kept in the front garden where the kids play. we live in a semi detached so the front garden goes round the side of the house so is quite large and the hutches are kept in summer house/playhouse. we have a little playhouse empty as the storms broke the felt roof and the perspex windows so we are going to renovate it soon. do you think we would be considered or would we be wasteing our time, we have a tort from the tort trust,so have got rehomed animals.

From a rescue point of view it would be subject to a homecheck and whether you can afford vet bills if the rabbit/s became ill or needed emergency treatment (which you will probably know as you have got a few animals already). All rescues have different criteria so I suppose it would be a case of going through a rescue that as the particular rabbit in that you are wanting and seeing what their criteria is.

Hello.

At the rescue where I worked, we would consider various things before re-homing to people.

We would only re-home bunnies to be bonded to another either by adopting a pair from the rescue or if the bunny to be re-homed was to be paired with an existing bunny.(Not all rescues insist on this if the bunny is going to live indoors as a house rabbit with human company)

All the existing bunnies would have to be neutered (to avoid unwanted litters and to ensure no breeding was to happen) and living in pairs/groups.

We would consider how the rabbits would be housed with a minimum accommodation requirement. This would have to be in place and a home check performed before re-homing.

We would want to know that a provision was made to care for your bunnies by a rabbit savvy person or boarding establishment should you want to go on holiday.

We would want to know that the prospective parents knew what sort of illness rabbits can suffer from and what to do in this case.

We would want the adopters to demonstrate that they knew what basic care for rabbits would be i.e. diet, accommodation, exercise, habit etc.

We would want to know that the adopters knew what sort of costs are involved if something goes wrong and the rabbits need medical care, and that they adopters could afford this.

We would want to know that the adopters had the right attitude to keeping rabbits and that they understood that it would be an adult caring for the buns (with our without help from children - animals can not be re-home or sold to anyone under the age of 16 - Animal Welfare Act 2006)

The actual breed or size of the rabbit wouldn't be so important, but it should be noted that some breeds may be more difficult to handle due to size etc.

You would need to contact your local rescue and see what their requirements are. I am sure that if you are responsible animal carers already that there wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Finance may be a stumbling block if you aren't able to pay for a suitable hutch/run set up and either afford insurance for your new rabbits or at least put some aside for a 'rabbit fund'.

Hope this gives you an idea, but each rescue has it's own criteria, and they normally have good reason to uphold certain minimum care standards.

Helen

hi,its just years ago the rspca wouldnt as they said we didnt work an said about the vets bills but hubby doesnt work as hes a carer for our autistic son. will contact some local rescues didnt want to bother if its a definate no as its waste of everyones time.understand the money side but no we do go to vets if animal needs it. we have a menanargie?sp here at the moment 2,beardie lizards,a hamster,2 rats ,5 dogs,1 cat, 3 terrapins,13 torts,4hens ,3 rabbits,3 ferrets,3 african pgymy hedgehogs.and a conure parrot.:lol:

Back