• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prudence is home. Thyroid Gland? Quick update

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I collected pru this morning, she seems well in herself, but things appear a bit more complicated for than I hoped.

Her cyst was attached to her thyroid gland. They removed the cyst ok but did not remove the gland which is the cause of the problem.

It is therefore possible that the cyst will return. At the moment her wound is still draining out, which is a good thing in a way as otherwise the cyst would be reformimg already. It needs to be cleaned regularly which she hates and she is at a high risk for flystrike.

The vets said they hadn't come across anything like it before. Does anyone know if buns can have a thyroid gland removed in the same way as a dog or cat? And what is her prognosis if it just keeps coming back.

She has always had trouble keeping weight on, now I'm thinking this could all be connected.

Any info would be really appreciated
This is what it looks like now.

HPIM0893.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have any experience of Thyroidectomy in Rabbits.
Did the Vet suggest running a full blood profile ?
Aspirating fluid from the cyst for analysis may give some indication of what is causing it.
I know a certain type of tapeworm can cause hydatid cysts that can effect the Thyroid Gland, but I have no idea if they effect Rabbits

Could you ask your Vet to contact the Bristol Rabbit Clinic to see if they can help

http://www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk/langford/cas/rabbitclinic/

Janex

Thanks Jane, it's good to get a reply.

The vets thought getting the fluid analysed wouldn't provide any further answers as they knew where the fluid was coming from.

They did say the only other case they had seen of a cyst in the dewlap was caused by a tapeworm but mine was completely fluid filled.

I'm taking he back on Saturday for a check up so will ask if bloods would help.

I wondered about the Bristol clinic too. I know my vets will contact FHB if they are really stuck.

The only problem is I can't take Pru anywhere else as she can't travel at all. When I got her she travelled 20 miles and she keeled over in the car within minutes. I thought she would be dead before we got home.

I think a thyroid op might be quite risky. Hyperthroid cats do get the thyroid removed and cope well, I don't think they even need medication afterwards, but it can be a risky op as the parathyroid lies very closely to it and it is involved with heart function. Some vets only remove the half of the thryoid affected as it is a safer option. I suspect it would be a very delicate operation as the glands would be so small in a rabbit. Also humans need thryoid replacement therapy, lifelong, as we cannot cope without, so a rabbit might also need medication afterwards.

I suppose the best thing it to get your vet to check with the vet collages, and see if it has ever been done, as I think it would be quite rare.

Thanks,

They basically said to me this morning that they did not know if it was possible to remove a thyroid in a rabbit as they are so different to cats and dogs, and they had never heard of it being done before.

Perssonally I don't like the sound of it even if it were possible, knowing how delicate buns can be, but then I also don't know how we can stop the cyst reoccuring if we can't treat the cause :?

Just a quick update,

prudence had a check up with a different vet on Saturday. She is healing really well. :D

Apparently rabbits do not rely heavily on their thyroid glands so if it does return they can remove some of the thyroid gland as well. And the cyst will be sent off for analysis.

Its sometimes really frustrating that even vets from the same practice have different opinions on treatment

Back