• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft droppings

Hi my female rabbit called Honey has been passing soft droppings and is a little bloated. My friend says give her an unlimited amount of grass/hay which iv been doing for the past couple of days but she is still passing soft droppings. Is there anyone else on here that had/has this problem of soft droppings, if so i would be greatful of any advice you could give me.
Thankyou

Hi my female rabbit called Honey has been passing soft droppings and is a little bloated. My friend says give her an unlimited amount of grass/hay which iv been doing for the past couple of days but she is still passing soft droppings. Is there anyone else on here that had/has this problem of soft droppings, if so i would be greatful of any advice you could give me.
Thankyou

How bloated? also when you say soft do you mean soft piles or watery diarreah? how old is she?

Sorry for all of the questions...if she is truely bloated and feels like a small balloon she really needs to see the vet asap.

She is around 4 years old, my friend who owns a rabbit sanctuary checked her out and felt her stomach and said she feels a little bloated like she has eaten something she shouldnt of (like a bit of cardboard) Her poos are like the poos they are meant to eat but she doesnt seem to be eating them and her bottom is a little messy because of this. She is a little overweight the vet said, last time i took her for her jabs.

She is around 4 years old, my friend who owns a rabbit sanctuary checked her out and felt her stomach and said she feels a little bloated like she has eaten something she shouldnt of (like a bit of cardboard) Her poos are like the poos they are meant to eat but she doesnt seem to be eating them and her bottom is a little messy because of this. She is a little overweight the vet said, last time i took her for her jabs.

Hmm...if she is bloated because your friend thinks she has a blockage then that is potentially serious...however if she is acting normally, moving around as usual eating/drinking etc then she sounds ok. If her droppings are normal and it's just a case of her not eating them (do they look like shiny bunches of small grapes?) then she could be eating to many sugary foods, too much food, wrong kind of food, too much veg etc which is why she won't eat them.Obviously you need to find a cause because it will put her at risk of flystrike.
I would cut out all veg and pellets, giving her just hay and have her checked out at the vet for any gut problems or dental issues that she may have going on. She could have a digestive upset which you really need to get sorted out and the vet will be able to listen to her guts, give her a thorough check over and give you any GI meds and probiotics if needed. I say visit the vet because you say that although she has had just hay the past couple of days it hasn't helped! :)

I agree. When we have sofy dropping incidents, bunny had too many fresh veggies and fruits. So we cut everything but hay and pellets (solid with loads of fibre). Of course, fresh water always available.

Ok thanks for all of the advice :) Yer she seems fine shes acting normal and eating regularly but i will cut out the pellets and veg and see if that makes any difference, im taking her and my other rabbit to the vets next monday for their myxo jab so i will get them to do a check over on both of them just to make sure.
Thanks again.

Ok thanks for all of the advice :) Yer she seems fine shes acting normal and eating regularly but i will cut out the pellets and veg and see if that makes any difference, im taking her and my other rabbit to the vets next monday for their myxo jab so i will get them to do a check over on both of them just to make sure.
Thanks again.

Oh if she is still eating veg and pellets that is probably what it is. What food is she on if you don't mind me asking?

One of my rabbits is prone to a messy bum so I put her onto science selective and haven't had a problem for 6 weeks, I was having to clean her everyday prior to that and last night I tried her on a very small piece of apple. BIG mistake....she was covered in cecals today and all over her blankets so no more apple for her!! Some rabbits just can't tolerate veg and fruits.... the excel she used to be on also had the same effect.

i give her and her brother rabbit nuggets from pets at home and the normal veg like fresh greens, carrot, celery, bit of cucumber etc. shes been fine since iv had her but now shes just been having soft droppings which she doent eat, she never used to be like this.

i give her and her brother rabbit nuggets from pets at home and the normal veg like fresh greens, carrot, celery, bit of cucumber etc. shes been fine since iv had her but now shes just been having soft droppings which she doent eat, she never used to be like this.

Yes Milly used to be fine on her food then it literally started overnight BUT I would still have her checked when she has her jab and ask the vet for some probiotics to put into their drinking water. Since she is getting older definietly make sure they check her back teeth (molars) for any spurs which might be making things uncomfortable for her. Also, the pellets from PAH are also made by excel I think so you might want to consider changing her on to something like science selective, Oxbow bunny T or Allen and Page pellets. They aren't as easy to come by but better for the bunny.

Pets at home nuggets are made by Burgess who make Excel, rabbits which are prone to gut problems often get this problem with excel / pets at home nuggets. As others have suggested you would be best to change your rabbits over a 10 day period to one which is higher in fibre such as SS or Bunny basics. The amount of pellets can also cause problems, by cutting back on the amount of pellets this can also resolve the problem.

Oh ok thanks for all your advice, im making up a new healthy diet plan to get her back on track. I'll see how it goes and i will also take her to the vets aswell.
Thanks again everyone. :D

Hi again, update on Honey, she has been eating all the grass iv have given her but seems to be sitting a lot and not really wide eyed, energetic and 'hoppy', like she used to be. Is this because iv benn giving her a very small amount of vegetables (she doesnt seem interested in them anymore) or is it because she has been eating too much grass and it has given her a poor tummy or something.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From reading your post, I think this rabbit must be seen by a vet this afternoon if he is to have any opportunity to improve. .

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Your 4 year old rabbit has been 'bloated' for a few days and has had 'soft poos', your friend suggested feeding just hay and grass ... from reading what has been written for the past few days you were feeding hay, veg and grass. Your rabbit has now become lethargic and now not interested in food.

You do not mention if your rabbit is passing any poo at all or drinking.

This sounds like your rabbit has gone from being bloated to now progressing towards stasis. Treatment by a vet is essential to increase the gut motility, if this is not treated today dehydration and stasis will occur.

I do not mean to alarm you, the longer this is left untreated the less the chances of survival are.

she has been passing poos and she has not been passing as much soft droppings as she has been, i am making an appointment for monday today for her jabs and to talk to the vet about it. Is there any medication the vet could give my rabbit to help get rid of the bloating?

she has been passing poos and she has not been passing as much soft droppings as she has been, i am making an appointment for monday today for her jabs and to talk to the vet about it. Is there any medication the vet could give my rabbit to help get rid of the bloating?

Please can I request that if your rabbit has currently got problems associated with bloat that you do not go ahead with vaccinations on Monday. Vaccinating them when their immune system is compromised can result in a low level of immunity to what ever they are being vaccinated for. Vaccinating when the immune system is not fully operational also makes a rabbit more susceptible to other conditions. This is the same principle as in human medicine.

There are medications that a vet will give to increase the gut motility and reduce the bloat, these meds need a rabbit to be examined as if they are given where there is a gastointestinal blockage they can increase the problem. My concern with your rabbit is that rabbits are prey animals and do not normally show that they are unwell, unless they are very unwell. If your rabbit is lethargic there is definatley a problem which needs to be seen ....

Oh right i didn't know that, i will talk to my vet about it and see what the best solution will be, iv made an appointment for tomorrow so i can sort it all out then. Thankyou for all the help and warnings you have given me, much appreciated. I'll keep you updated :)

Back