• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Compainionship poll

how do you keep your rabbits

• In pairs - male and female (uneutered)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • In pairs - male and female (neutered)

Votes: 62 70.5%
  • In pairs - female and female (unneuterd)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • In pairs - female and female (neutered)

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • In pairs - male and male (uneutered)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In pairs - male and male (neutered)

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • In a mixed sex group (uneutered)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In a mixed sex group (neutered)

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • In a same sexed group (uneutered)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • In a same sexed group (neutered)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • On their own (uneutered)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • On their own (neutered)

Votes: 16 18.2%

• Total voters
Hi, i just wanted to run a poll, for my dissertaion i am doing (some of you may have seen my previous thread about survays....thanks to everyone who volentered)

I have been discussing rabbit care with a number of dutch and mini lop breeders, quite a few of them do not recomend keeping rabbits togeter because of fighting. I was always under the impression that they should be kept togeter, as i have done this successfully for many years, and it is wat the RSPCA recomend. (i am aware that rabits usualy need to be spayed/neutered for this to work sucessfully)

I was just wondering how you keep you rabbits, in pairs or more or on their own because of the risk of fighting?

I have 3 pairs, & a bonded 9. All buns are neutered/spayed.

The bonded 9, used to be a 13, unfortunately I lost 2 females. The upset caused 3 of my male-heavy group to fight (Flint battered Alistair & Cracker). Flint remains in the 9, & Cracker & Alistair got paired up with single spayed females.

My group of 9 are mostly unrelated - there's two sisters in there, & one of buns is a daughter of another.

I have too many buns to keep single ones - they wouldn't get the time they needed & I 100% believe my buns need other bun company.

If a person has a lot of time on their hands, I think an indoor house bun is ok:D

Editted to add - Breeders buns would fight though if un-neutered/ un-spayed

I didn't vote as I have 2 options to tick - I have a single, neutered male bunny, who used to live with a female neighbour in an adjacent hutch, but she sadly died last week. He's now very happy as he has the run of the patio twice as long as before - he seems a very happy chappy :)

And I have a group of 4 unspayed females, sisters. They seem happy too, and as they are now getting on for 4yrs old, they've sorted out the hierarchy and are very bonded, although there is competition for food as Primrose is just a greedy pig :roll:

I replied before it was a poll:oops: I'v ticked neutered mixed group now - & if mine all got on I'm wang 'em together, but they are happy in their pairs/group, so I'm not upsetting them again:lol:

Thanks for all the replys......keep them coming!

Eleve.....it sould be set to allow multiple votes from the same person....as a figured you lot are bunny mad and the likley hood of you just having a couple of rabbits was very slim!

thanks

rachel

p.s still looking for a few more volenteres for survarys....pm or see previous post for details

Male/ female neutered pair (outside)
2 males (littermates) neutered pair (outside)
Squidgy lone neutered male (inside)

I voted in pairs male/female neutered as I believe this works best, but I also have 2 single neutered rabbits at the moment, and in the past have had a pair of neutered brothers together and pair of neutered sisters together!

I haven't voted as we have 3 options!

We have two groups of 4 - 1 male and 3 females in each group.
We have one male/female pair who just didn't get on with the others.
We have one single house bun who isn't tolerant of other bunnies although we may try again the future.
The only way we would keep a single bunny is as a house rabbit as they are companion animals.
All of ours have been spayed/neutered.

Bonding is a big issue and hard in many cases. There are people/rescues who offer this as a service and most believe that the bunnies lives are dramatically improved by having a bunny companion.

Maria x

Edit - I've voted now - didn't realise you could choose more than one option :oops:

Thanks for all the replys......keep them coming!

Eleve.....it sould be set to allow multiple votes from the same person....as a figured you lot are bunny mad and the likley hood of you just having a couple of rabbits was very slim!

thanks

rachel

p.s still looking for a few more volenteres for survarys....pm or see previous post for details

oooh yeah I just tried it and it worked - NEIL!!!! :wave:

Hi Rachel
I think you might need to change your survey?. I have not been able to complete it for you, as there is no option for single bun awaiting pairing.-Sue:wave:

Hi,

I have 4 pairs-of a neutred male with an unneutred female., 1 single spayed female, 1 single neutred male and 2 unneutred females.

Hopefully the single male will soon be paired with one of the unneutred females.

You don't have a section for my pairs.:wave:, so can't fill it in, sorry.

Ooh yes - after filling in several of the options for my various pairs and trios I have just realised that I forgot my one paid which has an unneutered male (due to slow heratbeat so no GA allowed) and neutered female. If you add on an option for that give it an extra tick for me !!

I started out with a neutered, bonded pair of brothers, but at the age of 18 weeks they fell out. One is now a housebun.
Since then we have tried to bond the outdoor bun with another, but sadly that failed. Now waiting to try again with a different bun.
Once he is sorted out, will find a mate for the remaining brother.
Would prefer them both to have partners, providing they are happy.
Hope that makes sense :D

Back