• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Compainionship poll

Hi, i just wanted to run a poll, for my dissertaion i am doing (some of you may have seen my previous thread about survays....thanks to everyone who volentered)

I have been discussing rabbit care with a number of dutch and mini lop breeders, quite a few of them do not recomend keeping rabbits togeter because of fighting. I was always under the impression that they should be kept togeter, as i have done this successfully for many years, and it is wat the RSPCA recomend. (i am aware that rabits usualy need to be spayed/neutered for this to work sucessfully)

I was just wondering how you keep you rabbits, in pairs or more or on their own because of the risk of fighting?

In pairs

On their own

I think you need to get someone to help you actually insert a poll here.

But for now my answer is ALWAYS with another one (either a pair or a trio).

I think you will find that neary everyone on here will say the same. Of course, unlike breeders, most of the people on here have their rabbits neutered so they can easily keep male/female combos and even same sex.

The problem is that un-neutered rabbits, especially those living close to other rabbits of the opposite sex, are likely to fight over mates and territory. Pregnant does are also likely to turn aggressive towards cage-mates occasionally.
I think that is why breeders don't recommend keeping them together. I don't either, I have currently 3 adult rabbits, only one of which is neutered and she can't stand my other doe, and the buck can't live with either of them for "Obvious" reasons. (Can't live with Aroma because she would constantly get pregnant and can't live with Zakura because constantly TRIES to get her pregnant) Also I can't keep Sasuke with another buck because un-neutered bucks VERY rarely get along...especially if they are also does around.

I always try to get my rabbits into pairs at the very least but if a rabbit rejects 3 different partners after being neutered then I will accept that rabbit wants to remain alone and seek to provide them with lots of female company.

mine are in a pair :D they get really grumpy and upset if they are split up too (i was told to seperate them when duchess was poorly to ensure she ate enough so seperated them at feeding times and all that happened was both refused to eat full stop and duchey was grunting like mad then picked up her ceramic bowl and threw it at me :shock: havent seperated them since that :lol:

2 pairs, their personalities seem to come out with the right partner and they snuggle together and groom each other which is fab to see.

The flipside is the risk of fighting (and vet bills) and this bloomin spring fever with all the humping and chasing. My nerves are frayed :lol:

I have a pair, another pair I am trying to bond at the mo, and in a month or so I am taking in another male that I will try and bond with the pair I have outside. Hopefully that will go well if not he will have to be rehome as OH will NOT allow a 6th bun and I wouldn't have one living alone.

Wrong Poll!!

Hi

this is the wrong poll......for some reason this post has been duplicated....there is another poll further down the page where you can select your options

can a mod please delete this one

thanks

rachel

Back