• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive Vanessa

Vanessa-nessa

Young Bun
Hi all

Got another little problem with Vanessa (house rabbit), and hoped you guys could help.

My son stepped on Vanessa at the weekend; I had a wee feel at her at the time, and she seemed ok - not attacking me or trying to get away. She's been fairly happy since then.

Today I've gone to lift her to pop her in the run, and she was proper growling and jumping at me. (I don't tend to lift her unless I am popping her outside in the run, and she hasnt been out since the weekend.) I put on some thick gardening gloves and managed to catch her (she got me a couple of bites at this point). She's out in the run now and binkying about, so that reasssures me that she's not in pain.

I've phoned the vet, but they cant see her at any time when I can get there.

Any ideas whats going on? I think she's frightened, so will spend more time sitting and giving her treats etc. My problem is that I have 3 kids of my own and childmind two others. I'm so worried that she's gonna hurt one of them.

She's about 9 months, and not spayed - yet. Was planning to do that this month. I like your thinking!

Last edited:
I agree that spaying is a priority but even after that she will probably still not want to be picked up and carried. Most don't really like it. Until then you could try coaxing her into a carrier to transfer her between run and house?

Maria x

As I say, I dont lift her often, and usually its a matter of lift her and pop her in the run as quick as poss, cos I know (from reading the forums here) that most bunnies are not into it.

I dont have my own carrier (always borrow a friend's) but this is a good idea that we can try out.

I'm dreading going out to bring her back in. *quiver*

I hate picking my rabbits up too, and rarely do it - you have to hold them really firmly or they can twist and break their own back, so just kind of psyche yourself up to be 'boss' - Maa kicked like mad last week and hurt her leg in the process I think, so you need to gather them close to your body as quick as poss. I always wear a thick coat and gloves when I'm picking mine up, then you don't need to be scared of getting bit, just kicked :rolleyes:

If you sit and stroke them on the nose first, they go into a bit of a trance, and then it's easier to just scoop them up - but if they don't like being stroked you might be best to pop a plastic wash basket over her and shuffle that along the ground till you get back to the house

you might be best to pop a plastic wash basket over her and shuffle that along the ground till you get back to the house

LOL!

It started raining so I've brought her back in. I was terrified!!! But she was absolutely fine. So peaceful and just her usual self. I think she feels bad, as she is hopping over to see me loads more than usual. I wish I wasnt so wary of her though.

I had big thick gardening gloves on when she bit me, but I've got a massive bruise on my finger already. :(

ETA: I notice she'd been starting to dig in the run today. She's never done that before either.

If I have to pick mine up I scoop them up under their bums so they are supported and then hold them tight close to my chest so they can't really move and feel safe. I do try to hold them for the least amount of time though. :)

If I have to pick mine up I scoop them up under their bums so they are supported and then hold them tight close to my chest so they can't really move and feel safe. I do try to hold them for the least amount of time though. :)

Yes, this is how I'm doing it.

I wonder though - some of the regulars here say they check over their rabbits nail, teeth, bums, etc regularly ; how are you guys getting away with this!!!!! LOL

I've never done more than watch mine to see if they look OK - you can see if there's poo on their bums if you bend down while they hop away from you - I must look very funny what with that and the wash basket - what do the neighbours think? :lol: but as they run on concrete (big patio plus shed has a concrete floor) they seem to keep their nails down - have never needed to cut the girls nails in nearly 3yrs, although I do Benny's about twice a year (he's easy to handle - neutered boy :D)

Thanks for all your replies yesterday. Vanessa has been such a sook yesterday and today. Have asked OH to book her into the vets (I dont have the car during the day) to get her spayed.

Thanks again

Back