• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please

I adopted two buck rabbits a couple of weeks ago, they arrived in a bit of a sorry state, in a hutch that was much to small, the younger buck (Bogart) appears to have a tear in his scrotum and is quite sore, he seems well in himself, he is eating and running around. Neither of them have been nuetered. Does anyone have any advise?

Do you think the tear could be as a result of them fighting? If so can you seperate them and maybe try re-bonding once neutered. I would get the injured one looked at by a vet to access how bad it is. Even though he seems ok in himself an open wound could get infected.

Thanks, I am taking him this afternoon, I wondered if it was a commom problem, his testicles are very large, swollen? possibly.

Thanks, I am taking him this afternoon, I wondered if it was a commom problem, his testicles are very large, swollen? possibly.

I would definately seperate them as 2 un-neutered Bucks can cause life threatening injuries to one another.
Is there *definately* an open wound or are his genitals just swollen with no broken skin. If the latter then you also have to consider Myxomatosis as a possibilty.

Its good you are getting him to the Vet today. Please let us know how you get on

Janex :)

Thank you for your reply, the skin is definately broken, I have spent a long time watching them together and apart from trying to hump each other they don't seem to fight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Weepy looking eyes, swelling around the eyes and small, pimply lumps which can be felt especially around the face and head.

They said the damage was too severe & the risk of infection was very high, and that he probably wouldn't survive even if operated on :cry:

Thats awful - I'm sorry to hear that. :cry: Take comfort in the fact he is no longer in pain. My three buns send lots of kisses and hugs.

Sorry to hear that. How is the other boy doing? I would recommend that you have him neutered and then find him a neutered girlfriend in a few weeks time. And maybe see if you can find a vet that has more experience with rabbits. I didn't see the injury, but it didn't sound so bad as to justify putting the bunny to sleep. What country do you live in?

His entire testicle had been ripped (by Humphrey I should imagine) The vet said it was very nasty, We have used the same vet for over 15 years and he is very competent. I have put Humphrey in with the bantams at the moment as he was getting lonely, and he really seems to be enjoying himself with them, although they are not too keen on him trying to sleep with them at night

seems a shame not to have operated but sounds like you trust your vet. I dont know about bantoms too much they are small chickens arent they? be careful they dont peck at him and cause an injury i think he might be best off with just you as company until he has been neutered but then i have never had a male rabbit only ever females. sorry to hear he was put down.think i would have souught a 2nd opinion on the wound but i think also i did not see it so it could already have been nasty and infected etc. good luck with the remaining buck x

Back