• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone had their bun microchipped U/D I did it

When we take in from the RSPCA they are usually micro chipped, but quite honestly I don't see the point, I think it's an unneccessary expense what with neutering, and vaccinating them all.

We take quite a few from the RSPCA (as we never refuse them and I'll bet that's shocked a few people:lol:) and most often they have done them

i am sorry for my ignorance :oops: but why would you microchip your bunny?

i thought they do that for cats and dogs in case they get lost, but bunny doesn't wander (far) away does he?

i am sorry for my ignorance :oops: but why would you microchip your bunny?

i thought they do that for cats and dogs in case they get lost, but bunny doesn't wander (far) away does he?

If you're rabbits gets out, it's more of a guarantee you'll get it back :D

When we take in from the RSPCA they are usually micro chipped, but quite honestly I don't see the point, I think it's an unneccessary expense what with neutering, and vaccinating them all.

We take quite a few from the RSPCA (as we never refuse them and I'll bet that's shocked a few people:lol:) and most often they have done them

Well the RSPCA are doing a free mirco chipping day, so would be a freebe, was going to get mine done, although I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt, not keen on hurting them.

Well the RSPCA are doing a free mirco chipping day, so would be a freebe, was going to get mine done, although I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt, not keen on hurting them.

It doesn;t hurt, it's just an injection and if it's free then go for it

I want one of my bunnies done as she escaped within 2 hours of me having her,she will try and jump over my shoulder and her main aim in life is to escape,she is better since she has been spayed and has a bigger run so i can sit in with her now and that helps,but hubby thinks i am mad wanted them microchipped:cry:

I want one of my bunnies done as she escaped within 2 hours of me having her,she will try and jump over my shoulder and her main aim in life is to escape,she is better since she has been spayed and has a bigger run so i can sit in with her now and that helps,but hubby thinks i am mad wanted them microchipped:cry:

Well I don't know if the RSPCA are doing a nation wide thing, maybe they'll be coming to your area soon :D

I have my two chipped - they were absolutely fine with it :) The only bad thing is a little bit of bleeding on a white bunny looks a bit scary! :lol:

and does it hurt them?

I had Muppet chipped whilst he was being neutered, so he definitely didnt feel a thing. What's one small chip compared to those missing bits :lol:

I still dont understand why people think microchipping is unnecessary for rabbits. As if no rabbit has ever escaped... As if you've never ever ever forgotten to close a door...

I think it's a great idea, it's relatively cheap (a tenner?) and - whilst it wont guarantee your rabbit coming back to you - anything that increases the chances is fine by me. And as we've seen recently, it can help prove your rabbit is YOURS, should there ever be any doubt.

I still dont understand why people think microchipping is unnecessary for rabbits. As if no rabbit has ever escaped... As if you've never ever ever forgotten to close a door...

I do not know about others but I can tell you about me :D

Well it never occured to me because my bunny is an indoor bunny. He goes out in a courtyard but is a walled courtyard (stone walls 6-7 feet high). Never seemed to want to find a way out.

I never had a bunny before, I only had dogs. Whilst I did some research before we had Hugo, I am still learning. That is why I am in this forum. Because I want the best for Hugo. And that is also why I am asking questions that might seem silly to more experienced rabbit owners. :oops:

I think this forum is great as there are loads or people that care about bunnies and can help other novices care about them too. :wave:

It's all very well having the bunny microchipped but who has the facility to read the chip?

I wouldn't like to say that it doesn't hurt either, the contraceptive implant (in humans) is put in via an injection and mine hurt for two weeks while the tissue in my arm healed around it.

On balance I wouldn't bother, instead I would put the money towards a better secure area. But if it's free - I still don't think I would put a bunny through it.

Maria x

It's all very well having the bunny microchipped but who has the facility to read the chip?

I wouldn't like to say that it doesn't hurt either, the contraceptive implant (in humans) is put in via an injection and mine hurt for two weeks while the tissue in my arm healed around it.

On balance I wouldn't bother, instead I would put the money towards a better secure area. But if it's free - I still don't think I would put a bunny through it.

Maria x

Most vets have a microchip scanner :) Else they wouldn't be able to offer the service in the first place :) I believe the RSPCA centres should have them too

With the microchip it sits under the skin [rabbits have much looser skin than most of us!], rather than with the contraceptive implant which is [as the name suggests] implanted into our skin/muscle/fatty tissue :)

Most vets have a microchip scanner :) Else they wouldn't be able to offer the service in the first place :) I believe the RSPCA centres should have them too

With the microchip it sits under the skin [rabbits have much looser skin than most of us!], rather than with the contraceptive implant which is [as the name suggests] implanted into our skin/muscle/fatty tissue :)

Great reply, :thumb:

Thanks

Maria x
PS - Happy Birthday

Last edited:
Three of mine are 'chipped.

They are three of the house rabbits and they are all fascinated by the idea of the front door!! (the 4th is very timid so e havn't got round to it yet!). The back door is fine as it leads to secure garden/rabbit areas - but the front door is a complete no no. We do have child gates also but it only takes a second . . . or a visitor who does not realise the problem. Just think about the number of people like washing machine menders, dishwasher menders, people quoting for anything, floor layers, wondow cleaners, and even 'friends' (no really I do have some!!) etc etc that come in and then just 'nip to the car/van to get the tools/parts/thing they were bringing you, and of course leave the door on the latch - despite what you told them!!!

Also we have found a huge added bonus - for years we had problems with the neighbours cat coming through the catflap and eating all our cats food and treating our house like its dosspad. Then my O/H found this fantastic cat flap that will only work if the animal who is trying to come in/out has a microchip which has a number the catflap has programmed into it. Now our cat and house rabbits can all still use the cat flap (to the back garden) and the horrid cat from next door can't get in at all

We also micro-chipped the tortoise - but he doesn't use the cat flap
:lol::

As the RSPCA and the Blue Cross now chip rabbits that they are going to have adopted then it means that when they find strays from now on they will check them for chips as well - so soon it will be standard - just like with cats and dogs.

Last edited:
RSPCA have chipped Bungle, am thinking of getting the other 3 done now, my vets said they are getting more & more rabbits in for it.

When I had my cats I had them done, its the size of a grain of rice. The only thing i had to do was to take them back a week later to make sure the chips were still in place and not travelled anywhere they shouldn't.

Which RSPCA is doing it for free Tree?

Back