• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge for Bunnies.... how to?

honey61

Mama Doe
Having read that buns like porridge, I thought I'd give it a try on my pair..... however I am ashamed to say..... I don't know how to make it :oops: (I was brought up on readi brek... not the proper stuff)

If one of you lovely people could tell me how to prepare it for bunnies I'd be very grateful :D

Also whilst I'm posting this, are their any other warm recipes that you would recommend?

I give mine the dried oats, just a desert spoonful on top of their pellets and they love it, I never mix mine with anything

I personally wouldn't feed porridge to any of my fit and healthy buns. The carbs could cause digestive problems.

It's really just used to keep weight on old or sick rabbits.

If you want to give them a treat, try a couple of sunflower seeds once a week, it's good for their coat in moderation.

they don't need it unless they're thin - Benny plonked weight on in just 2 weeks with a tiny amount daily :shock: However I gave it Maa when she was ill and she loved it - teaspoon of pellets, teaspoon of porridge oats, splash of boiling water from the kettle, soak 10mins, mash it all together and I also mashed a slice of banana in to tempt her appetite :)

Ah... I must have misunderstood then.... I thought my pair were missing out........just as well I asked :D

Thank you for your replies, will just add as a treat now & then, but will remember the 'mash' if either of them are ever off their food or poorly.

Thanks again.

No, it's a really special treat and should only be given to bunnies that are seriously thin or very old, I use it for my special needs bunnies and they love it, but I don't give a lot

Misty has been advised to go onto porridge to help with weightloss, will she touch..will she :censored: she also wont try the cooked marrowfat peas or sweetcorn that the vet advised...any ideas where to go from here??

Morning Honey61:wave:

Misty has been advised to go onto porridge to help with weightloss, will she touch..will she :censored: she also wont try the cooked marrowfat peas or sweetcorn that the vet advised...any ideas where to go from here??

If your vets advising sweetcorn I think you should worry - it's indigestible for rabbits and causes impactions :? Have you tried the pellet porridge recipie I posted above?

If your vets advising sweetcorn I think you should worry - it's indigestible for rabbits and causes impactions :? Have you tried the pellet porridge recipie I posted above?

Nope will try it now...

Oh god I never thought about the sweetcorn :censored: she wouldnt have it anyway :)

Nope she just turns her nose up at it..I give up she is just not a fan of porridge, which means she will not put weight on :cry:

Last edited:
Try offering her a dry weetabix, its what I use to put weight on mine and they love it. Alternatively you can buy 'Barley rings' its a horse supplement designed for bulking up. Mine get a few as a treat.

Try offering her a dry weetabix, its what I use to put weight on mine and they love it. Alternatively you can buy 'Barley rings' its a horse supplement designed for bulking up. Mine get a few as a treat.

Yeah kay told me to try weetabix and she does love them, but i thought it would be a change for her. Although I have just been a for a shower and unless the pellet and porridge fairy has been it looks like she has eaten half of it...will continue with the weetabix and try variations of the porridge. :wave:

Nope will try it now...

Oh god I never thought about the sweetcorn :censored: she wouldnt have it anyway :)

Nope she just turns her nose up at it..I give up she is just not a fan of porridge, which means she will not put weight on :cry:

has the vet tried vitamin B injections? it's an appetite stimulant. Also be aware that lack of appetite is a symptom of kidney disease, so you might want to ask your vet about that - she might need a diuretic like frusemide or herbal remedy uva ursi (bearberry) but only tests will show if her kidneys are working properly. Dandelions are diuretic, and not only would that help her kidneys, if indeed that's the problem, it would maybe give her a bit more of an appetite - they need to eat something, to want to eat more :)

has the vet tried vitamin B injections? it's an appetite stimulant. Also be aware that lack of appetite is a symptom of kidney disease, so you might want to ask your vet about that - she might need a diuretic like frusemide or herbal remedy uva ursi (bearberry) but only tests will show if her kidneys are working properly. Dandelions are diuretic, and not only would that help her kidneys, if indeed that's the problem, it would maybe give her a bit more of an appetite - they need to eat something, to want to eat more :)

Oh god Misty easts like a horse lol, she is always at her hay, always in the garden munching away on grass (and dandelions).

She has had her bloods done and her kidneys are working ok, apparently her liver enzymes :?(dont know what thats all about) are a little low. She has been given an antibiotic shot and panacur...she has a weetabix a day also...and loves her spring greens.

Any advice is always very welcome though xxx

oh I see she's just thin then? well they do better lean than fat, so long as she's well otherwise :)

Its not that shes a slim bunny, since Xmas she has been losing approx 100g a month...shes was 2.6 at Xmas now shes just under 2.4

Mix a teaspoon of blackcurrant & apple baby food into it and serve warm.

Oh thats a good idea, I dont know if I said in an earlier post but she did sample it (the porridge with pellets), ate about a quarter..but would she ******* like touch it when I was there lol.

Will try the baby food in it first thing tomorrow for brekky...thanks hun xx

Back