• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She's here!!!!!!U/D Grooming!! :)

Siona

Mama Doe
Chudleigh (ARC bun) - now Gladys, is here! :D

It seemed to be love at first sight between her and Nigel when they met, she went straight up and put her head under his chin and laid down :love: he laid down too and they sat together for ages and then she started licking his ear and she made it all wet!

THe journey home was very quiet, at one point I did wonder whether they were still alive! :shock:
Now They are in the front room in a 6x2 run. They ran round for about 5 minutes and pulled fur (scary looking during moulting!:shock:) before stopping.

I scattered pellets all over the floor and they are both eating and nibbling hay, interspersed with occasional getting up, grunting at each other, stamping, moving somewhere else in the run , then sitting down and carrying on munching.

How does this sound so far?

Oh, and she's beautiful :love: :love:

will post pics when she's settled :)

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :D

It sounds like Gladys and Nigel are going to be fine! And I can't WAIT to see pics too!!!!! :D :D

Sounds good to me, I am not sure what equipment you have got out just in case, if you havent put anything out please do put a couple of strong brooms out that you could use to help separate them if need be.

I would not like to have to use my hands to separate normal sized rabbits let alone a larger one ;)

Sounds good to me, I am not sure what equipment you have got out just in case, if you havent put anything out please do put a couple of strong brooms out that you could use to help separate them if need be.

I would not like to have to use my hands to separate normal sized rabbits let alone a larger one ;)

I've had to seperate Nigel in a fight before. I use the 'from above and scoop' method :lol:

The stamping is becoming less and less frequent, and they have had some little chunks of carrot that I scattered in there too. They are currently lying nose to nose (literally touching) with Nigel in the litter tray and Gladys stretched right out on the sheet. :love:

I'm going to sleep down here tonight though, just to make sure everything is ok with them :)

Edit: She is grooming her dewlap a lot though, my only other experience of a female bun is Doris and she doesn't have one to groom, is this normal. By a lot I mean every 10 minutes or so. I get the feeling that she really wants to groom Nigel though, could it be a kind of 'referred grooming'?

Last edited:
*we have a happy bunny flop* Nigel just fell upside down in the litter tray, which must be a good sign! :D

Just found a lump of fur with a little bit of skin and blood about 3mm by 2mm on it, but because they are identical I can't tell which one it came from!:shock:

After a night together with very little sleep (me) and very little activity (them) they were lying together nose to nose and they seemed very happy.
I moved the run outside to another neutral spot and they were still doing ok.
There was a little bit of thumping and fur pulling but no fighting, thats what I can't understand.
The fur is coarse, so it's back fur. Could it be from one scrambling over the other?
What is the risk of infection?
I can't find the cut site, I'm so worried, my poor bunnies! :cry:

On the up side, we have a huge pile of hay all eaten, two different types of poops and wees. :)

Have a good check over both of them. If one has been doing lots of humping have a look for a wound around the scruff of the one being humped.
The next place to check is around their backsides

Janex

They sometimes nip the other when they are trying to pull fur. You should be able to find a small crust on one of them, most likely on the rear end of their back. If they are calm and friendly with each other most of the time, I would not worry about it. These little wounds normally heal well without any treatment.

Edit: She is grooming her dewlap a lot though, my only other experience of a female bun is Doris and she doesn't have one to groom, is this normal. By a lot I mean every 10 minutes or so. I get the feeling that she really wants to groom Nigel though, could it be a kind of 'referred grooming'?

Just seen this, also check around her neck/dewlap for an injury, including under her chin

Janex

i have just bonded tilly with milo, and there has been fur pulling too, milo mounts tilly (less frequently after being in a week together) and he pulls out fur on her back, so her fur is thinner there now, and the first night in the hutch together I found a massive clump of milo's (a huge handful) but could not tell where it came from on him at all as he looked no different, but he was fine, and I haven't seen any more since.
Milo is now mounting Tilly less and less, so hoping she won't lose too much more fur.
They are inlove, to me it sounds like yours are too.
x

Have a good check over both of them. If one has been doing lots of humping have a look for a wound around the scruff of the one being humped.
The next place to check is around their backsides

Janex

THeir fur is soo thick I literally cannot see their skin! I've felt as best I can, and checked underneath both of them to make sure no 'delicate' parts were injured. :shock:
I don't want to upset them too much by pulling them about so I'll have another look in a little while. They both seem happy enough though.

Oddly enough, they haven't been humping. At all. Not even once. They chase round and round a bit but most of the time she tries to lie flat under his chin. :)

another good way to split them up if they do decide to fight in a bit, is pop a washing basket over one of them (also a good way to catch a runaway bunny half way across the garden :lol:)

Have you checked both of them underneath i.e flipped them over?? I think if the skin was 2mm by 3mm your wound is going to actually be bigger than that. When Phoebe was bitten last week the skin that came off was only 2cm by 1cm (I say only because in comparison to the hole she had that was nothing-it was still a lot of skin for a little bun) her wound was 3 inches long by about two inches wide. I would just double check to be on the safe side. The rabbit that had bitten Phoebe I could only find one tiny bit of fur that had a thin outer layer of skin on, but it didn't cause a wound...do you think that's what could have happened with your bunny?

Have you checked both of them underneath i.e flipped them over?? I think if the skin was 2mm by 3mm your wound is going to actually be bigger than that. When Phoebe was bitten last week the skin that came off was only 2cm by 1cm (I say only because in comparison to the hole she had that was nothing-it was still a lot of skin for a little bun) her wound was 3 inches long by about two inches wide. I would just double check to be on the safe side. The rabbit that had bitten Phoebe I could only find one tiny bit of fur that had a thin outer layer of skin on, but it didn't cause a wound...do you think that's what could have happened with your bunny?

Eeeek! Now I'm scared! I'll check again :shock:

Eeeek! Now I'm scared! I'll check again :shock:

Sorry I think I was just being over cautious.... If your bunny had a wound that big you certainly wouldn't miss it :roll:

Check their legs too and abdomen area. Sure it's nothing to worry about. I nicked my rabbit with the scissors once on his thigh whilst giving him a trim and had to have that glued. If it's a small wound on the neck or rump area it should be fine to heal on it's own because the skin is thicker there. My bunnies always seem to end up injured in places where the skin is very tight but needs to be able to move freely...:roll:

It is so hard to find bunny bites, sometimes you don't even realise they have been hurt until you find the scab a couple of days later.

If you can't find it today, check again over the next couple of days as you may have a better chance of finding it when it's dried up a bit. You will then be able to see if it's healing ok. Not ideal I know but with so much bunny fur they are easy to miss.

Hope the bonding continues to go well :D

Back