• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits in hutches.

Chai Tea

New Kit
We have decided on keeping our rabbit Chai, in a hutch outside.
It's just a bit much keeping all of our critters in our house at the moment. We're building a large hutch, with a screen on the front. She'll have chews, a litter box, and a box to sleep in. She'll still be getting all her daily attention and cuddles, and when winter comes along, we'll either bring her in the house again, or get some sort of heating for her hutch.

Does that sound alright for her? What has your experience be in keeping a pet rabbit in a hutch? I read something about rabbits living shorter lives when kept outside. Is that true? I can't really see how it would be if they're cared for well.

Thanks for your help! :D

I neally answered, then noticed you live in Canada. I guess your winters are a lot colder than ours here in UK.
My buns have just overwintered outside, and grown a nice thick fur coat to keep them warm (they love running about in the snow.) I think maybe the hutch warming pads might be a good idea for yours, but if your local wild buns manage to survive the cold outdoors, then pet ones should have the same cold management system.
She will also need a run attached to her hutch, the more space she can have - the better.
Predators are the main concern about outdoor buns, as we are prone to lose ours to birds of prey, and foxes, amongst other bunny eaters. I guess you might have others. A good strong enclosure to keep your buns safe is a necessity.
Good luck with your new 'outdoor' bun.

Is it completely nessasary to add a run to the hutch? The hutch is bigger then the cage she has now, and she dosen't have a run on it. Like I said, she'll still get all her daily attention, and will get out for daily walks and play time.

Just curious.

If it's at all possible, then add a run to it , so she can hop and jump about at will. How big is her new hutch going to be? If you get another rabbit friend to live with her they will help keep each other company, as well as acting like hot water bottles for each other during the winter.:)

It's 4' x 3' x 3'. It's not as fancy as some of the hutches I've seen on the internet, but it's fairly big, and will make a nice home for her.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited:
I don't know how cold it gets around where you live...but I live in Norway quite far North and my bunnies spend the winter in hutches.
About runs..I would of course prefer to have the buns having free access to runs all day long but up North we seem to get a problem very often that I don't think occurs that often in England...
P1010003-2.jpg

Just as an example, here's how my run looked like the day after I dug some of the snow out:roll:

All of my rabbits live outdoors in sheds with runs, but the sheds are insulated against the worst of the cold, they live in pairs so keep each other warm, and they have loads of hay/profleece too.

A hutch can easily be insulated and well covered in winter to keep out the cold and wet.

Your rabbit will benefit from a permanent attached and secure run. Most much prefer to sit outside and enjoy the weather (good and bad!) and the outdoor environment, and benefit from being able to exercise even when you're unable to bring them into the house or let them in the garden.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen any stats on the life expectancy of oudoor versus indoor buns.
IMO I prefer outdoor as it's closer to their natural environment:D

ok well rabbits should really have a daily run the rspca recommends hutch min of 5x2x3 ft and an attached run. a rabbit should be able to stretch up and do 3 hops across the hutch they need to be able to stand up and should always be able to be let out for a run either in a secure garden house or room or in a run of size about 6x6t sq min this allows them to run and play and binky and jump they should have toys and preferably be neutered and live in a pair to keep each other company and warmer on a colder night. sounds a bit like the old cage was too small for the bun what breed is she?and how big? i would say that hutch is ok if it has a run attached otherwise is prob a bit small. rabbits should be able to run around and need same excersize time as a small dog would.
this is not meant to be criticism but as informative instead.

All of my rabbits live outdoors in sheds with runs, but the sheds are insulated against the worst of the cold, they live in pairs so keep each other warm, and they have loads of hay/profleece too.

A hutch can easily be insulated and well covered in winter to keep out the cold and wet.

Your rabbit will benefit from a permanent attached and secure run. Most much prefer to sit outside and enjoy the weather (good and bad!) and the outdoor environment, and benefit from being able to exercise even when you're unable to bring them into the house or let them in the garden.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen any stats on the life expectancy of oudoor versus indoor buns.

have always had outdoors buns this is their ages lucky till 6 starsky 8 chocolate 5 or 6 and chelsea is still going at 10years.
lucky caught a rare disease though and we were unable to save her, and chocolate had uterine cancer and was too late to be speyed sadly was not able to be saved. so my oldest is 10 which is pretty good going.(and she has survived myxi and is still going strong)

My buns spend nearly all their time outside - they have an open hutch which is entirely surrounded by an enormous enclosure, so can come and go as they please. They only go in their hutch when it is pelting with rain, or very windy. (They hate really windy days!!) Otherwise they sit outside in weather I wouldn't send a dog out in!!

Hiya! Whereabouts in Canada are you, what is the climate like there and how quickly does the weather tend to turn cold? I don't think you can compare what UK owners say about keeping their animals outside because the lowest it gets here is just below 0C on a handful of days a year! Personally I don't like to see single rabbits outdoors alone whatever the country, because they are social animals and just won't get the interaction they need if they live outside alone. At least in a house they can interact with and see what is going on in the household.

How many hours per day is she allowed out for exercise? I would say that a 4*3*3 hutch would be ok as long as she gets at least 4 hours exercise each day. If not, I'd agree with the others that attaching a run would be best; especially as it allows her the choice of when to come and go.

Sorry for all the questions, but there's quite a lot of variation between the Canadian climate and that in the UK!

I have read that outdoor buns don't live as long as indoor ones do - I forget which book it was now - but the reason was that rabbits hide illness so well the owner rarely notices in time with an outdoor rabbit.

Having said that 10 of ours live out in the garage :roll:

Maria

The cage she is in now is actually quite huge. I can barely fit it through the hallway at cleaning time. She has lots of hopping room, she can do at least 4 hops through the cage.

She is a himilayan dwarf. I don't know how huge the cages are you guys keep your buns in, but if it was much bigger it wouldn't have fit in the house. It's an extra, extra large rabbit cage.

We live in Ontario Canada. And indeed our winters can be very cold. At the moment, Chai gets about 2-3 hours out per day in the house. I think we will try and build a little run for her. We're just trying to figure out how to make the run easy to get at. Does anyone know of a good site that shows you how to create a rabbit run and hutch?

Thanks again. :D

Last edited:
Back