• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! Not Peeing In Hutch

SmokyJoe78

Mama Doe
Hello,
I know there have been similar threads to this recently, but this is a wee bit different (pardon the pun :oops:).
About a week and a half ago I got Lulu (via a gumtree ad), she is a house rabbit and is in a hutch, with a run area attached. During the day 8-5 she is in the hutch, but is out the rest of the time, sometimes outside too. At first she toileted in the hutch, but now she's only going when we let her out in the run. So basically she is not going to the toilet during the night or when we are at work :(
Does anyone have any ideas? We have tried the usual - mopping up the pee with newspaper - putting it in the hutch; we have now put a litter out in the run, but that doesn't solve the issue of not going in the hutch??????? Help!

Last edited:
I had this problem with my bunny Maa and tried everything - the vet said she'd never heard of a rabbit being so clean - but I've heard other people with a similar problem on here. I'm sorry I have no advice other than what you've done - I even got Maa a bigger hutch and gave her more litter trays - you could always try that, but ideally let her have the run 24/7 - I couldn't do this with Maa as she was outside, and obviously not safe all night. I think it gave Maa kidney failure holding it all night :(

Thanks Elve, I read your thread about Maa and was sorry to hear about you losing her.
Some kind of urine infection is what I'm worried about, but I'm also not sure about leaving her out all day when we're out, but I don't really think anything would happen to her - she's not in a bunnyproof room, so I would worry if she got out of the run and chewed any cables - maybe we'll have to move her?
Thanks again :)

Back