• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

been to vet today, suspected GI Stasis 8o(

vicky206

Mama Doe
cant believe it, well can because thats all i could think it could be :cry::cry::cry::cry:

last night he was so quiet (he is a very bubly naughty bun) he did not want to move just be on his own his ears where cold so i gave him a hot water bottle and towell had a quick look through all books which said keep him warm leave him be but regular checks (checked every 10 mins just looked in on him) gave him pellets he would not eat them offered him apple and celery not intertested. he was drinking a small amount.

i thought it may be GI stasis despite him pooing and weeing so i did all checks eyes, nose, bum and stomach feel - everthing was normal just not him.

about 4.30 am heard him eating and drinking binkying and jumping about sooooo relieved began to think my darlin was not going to be ok.

took him to the vet today she did all checks as well (obviously better than me) she had a very long feel of his stomach she said it was normal but all signs sounded like GI Stasis she took his temperature (he was tensing his bum for a min so made it difficult!) temp normal she said he looked very alert and ok.

she has given me a syringe incase he stops eating or drinking again and obviously he has to go straight back to vets if he goes quiet again even if is normal i am to ring tomorrow to let them know.

any one got any ideas on what it may have been or had their bun act similar - thanks guys :wave:

they do have 'off' days sometimes - I think it's when they have a bit of tummy ache or maybe some other pain, or the wind's frightened them, that kind of thing - Thankfully it sounds like your baby's fine now :)

i said to the vet is it possible he was having an off day she said yes but there must be a reason why(i find it frustrating when i cannot figure out whats going on with him hes my first bun almost had him a year now try to keep very close eye on him and give him more than best care but i still have so much to learn yet) i get so worried i hate to think i am molly coddling (SP) him but we are so close :cry:

vet and i are 99% sure all will be well now i dont think i could go through it again!

she mentioned infusing strawberry leaves,fennel and mint and putting in his water as a natural aid for gut (i had a bag of fruit leaves off hayexperts which has gone walkies typical :roll::lol:) anyone heard of above?

thanks again and sorry to go on!:lol::wave:

i said to the vet is it possible he was having an off day she said yes but there must be a reason why(i find it frustrating when i cannot figure out whats going on with him hes my first bun almost had him a year now try to keep very close eye on him and give him more than best care but i still have so much to learn yet) i get so worried i hate to think i am molly coddling (SP) him but we are so close :cry:

vet and i are 99% sure all will be well now i dont think i could go through it again!

she mentioned infusing strawberry leaves,fennel and mint and putting in his water as a natural aid for gut (i had a bag of fruit leaves off hayexperts which has gone walkies typical :roll::lol:) anyone heard of above?

thanks again and sorry to go on!:lol::wave:

No but you can buy stuff from vet called Avipro to put in water or buy off the net as it cheaper, which we put Bunnie on after first time of stasis. We stopped it and started buying good quality hay Oxbow Timothy Hay, and we have now almost finished weaning her on to a better quality pellet Oxbow Bunny Basics T.

We know when Bunnie is getting poorly with her tum as decreases hay eating which is lucky.

1st time she had it was due to too much cauliflower leaves as it was her first time and other half forgot to wean her onto it!

Second time which was couple of weeks ago we have no idea, was either storm unsettled her or the hay she had was old as she turned her nose up at it a bit when opened it either that or she ate something we don't know about.

We think she does have a sensitive tum:roll:

There can be underlying factors that cause it, so if happens again and again get vet to investigate.

No but you can buy stuff from vet called Avipro to put in water or buy off the net as it cheaper, which we put Bunnie on after first time of stasis. We stopped it and started buying good quality hay Oxbow Timothy Hay, and we have now almost finished weaning her on to a better quality pellet Oxbow Bunny Basics T.

We know when Bunnie is getting poorly with her tum as decreases hay eating which is lucky.

1st time she had it was due to too much cauliflower leaves as it was her first time and other half forgot to wean her onto it!

Second time which was couple of weeks ago we have no idea, was either storm unsettled her or the hay she had was old as she turned her nose up at it a bit when opened it either that or she ate something we don't know about.

We think she does have a sensitive tum:roll:

There can be underlying factors that cause it, so if happens again and again get vet to investigate.

if it does happen again i will want it looked at more closely, she never mentioned avipro maybe because she did not say 100% it was GI she just thought this was closest as per symptoms i explained.

can you only get the avipro at vets or online as well?

i wondered about hay but the hay from farm shop seems ok smells gorgeous lovely long strands nice green strands amongst tougher meadow hay i thought this would be perfect and he has been eating plenty i was spending too much on little bags of expensive hay so this was more economic do you think i should try some oxbow hay for a while see how he reacts? thanks x

You can use this stuff when they are poorly or under stress or are going to encounter stress as in a bonding or change of environment.

Can also use it all the time at the lower dose, must warn you though our bun loves the taste and drinks alot of it and of course in turn pees alot when on it. Thats why after 1 -2 weeks of being better we stop it as I would think it is not good especially the amount that Bunnie drinks of it:roll:

Your hay sound good quality for teeth as well as tum.

We had Bunnie on the crappy petshop stuff fab from pampurred pets up until she got poorly, now we buy the Oxbow which a shop near me sells so buy the big bag for £8.99 which is costly as she now eats tonnes of the stuff!

On the interent it costs more due to the delivery costs. You are lucky have a farm shop near you!

You can use this stuff when they are poorly or under stress or are going to encounter stress as in a bonding or change of environment.

Can also use it all the time at the lower dose, must warn you though our bun loves the taste and drinks alot of it and of course in turn pees alot when on it. Thats why after 1 -2 weeks of being better we stop it as I would think it is not good especially the amount that Bunnie drinks of it:roll:

Your hay sound good quality for teeth as well as tum.

We had Bunnie on the crappy petshop stuff fab from pampurred pets up until she got poorly, now we buy the Oxbow which a shop near me sells so buy the big bag for £8.99 which is costly as she now eats tonnes of the stuff!

On the interent it costs more due to the delivery costs. You are lucky have a farm shop near you!

defo really lucky with farm shop its great i only pay 1pound for a megazorb sized bag of hay!:D

am going to get the avi pro thanks so much chuck for helping me x:wave:

defo really lucky with farm shop its great i only pay 1pound for a megazorb sized bag of hay!:D

am going to get the avi pro thanks so much chuck for helping me x:wave:

Blimey £1, we pay £8.99 for a 1.13kg bag!

There are some farm shops a coplue of miles away from where we get Bunnies hay but we scared to change her hay as she likes it and don't wanna risk upsetting her tummy!

Back