• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionel is having leg amputated tomorrow UPDATE its done

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
I am so upset i hate abcesses - I took Lionel back to the vets today as he has barely moved for days and is barely eating he just lies still, the abcess on his leg is back with a vengance and a few others to keep it company, they are all the way down his leg now and doubled in size in a week even though he is on depocillin.

Christabel has said we should amputate as he can't go on like this, he has had it operated on twice and before that we tried just cleaning and packing nothing has worked and hes only 9 months old :cry::cry::cry:

My OH has said can we try just removing it one last time, now i am not sure what to do, what would you all do? Please advise :cry:

Last edited:
Hmmm its a toughie :cry: I think you should go with the vets advice, no point trying to solve it again when it will probably flare up again. At least with amputation its one op then its sorted. :)

Do you trust your vets judgement normally?

Hmmm its a toughie :cry: I think you should go with the vets advice, no point trying to solve it again when it will probably flare up again. At least with amputation its one op then its sorted. :)

Do you trust your vets judgement normally?

Yes i said yes straight away its the OH....:?

I am so upset i hate abcesses - I took Lionel back to the vets today as he has barely moved for days and is barely eating he just lies still, the abcess on his leg is back with a vengance and a few others to keep it company, they are all the way down his leg now and doubled in size in a week even though he is on depocillin.

Christabel has said we should amputate as he can't go on like this, he has had it operated on twice and before that we tried just cleaning and packing nothing has worked and hes only 9 months old :cry::cry::cry:

My OH has said can we try just removing it one last time, now i am not sure what to do, what would you all do? Please advise :cry:

Awwww Katie :cry:

If Christabel thinks amputation is Lionel's best option I'd go with that. Look at how Harry coped :) It's a big op' there is no denying that. But honestly if the abscesses keep coming back despite surgery and aggressive abx therapy then I feel amputation is the way to go. We get upset about the thought of a 3 legged Bun, but honestly Katie the Bun couldn't give a fig!! Harry was stuffing his face as soon as he woke up from the GA :rolleyes:
Lionel is such a sweetie and I know how much you love him. I questioned Christabel endlessly about Harry's amputation. It just seemed so......oh I dont know........drastic.....
But it has been the very best thing for him and he is more active and agile than most of my 4 legged Buns!!

Janex :)

Katie I'm so sorry to read about lionel, you've got enough going on tomorrow as it is.

wishing you all the best with the op, I've got prudence going in tomorrow to have her dewlap to be removed due to a probable abcess.

I have two 3 legged buns so if you need any advice just ask :)

Katie I'm so sorry to read about lionel, you've got enough going on tomorrow as it is.

wishing you all the best with the op, I've got prudence going in tomorrow to have her dewlap to be removed due to a probable abcess.

I have two 3 legged buns so if you need any advice just ask :)

Thank you, with that and the funeral its going to be a horrible day tomorrow :(

Hope your bunny is ok too

Hi if you trust your vet go with what they say and if numerous treatments have been tried it will hopefully stop any suffering from the leg abcesses.Animals are so wonderful if they lose limbs they just seem to adapt.All the best with your bunnies op,and with you.

I think you are doing the best thing you can for Lionel :) A bunny can have a wonderful life with just three legs and I have had many like that :) They do adapt, far better than we do :)

I'm sorry you've got so many things going on in your life and I hope that things do start to settle soon - big vibes coming from me to you and to Lionel - xxxx

I know how you feel. I had to make the decision to have my bunny's eye removed because of an abscess, but I'm glad I did. I worried sick that it would all be too much for her but she did great and was back to normal in no time. Abscesses are stubborn and I think this is the right decision and hopefully will be the end of the abscesses.
It has to be your decision, good luck

Hi Katie,
I had a very simler problem to yours and I tried everything to get Barlies foot better.She was treated for five months.I was even refered to the royal vetinery college at Langford Bristol.In the end her foot began to die and my only options were amputation or to have her puy to sleep.I didnt want to give up on her so I went for amputation and she is coping really well.I put a post up about her under the title,Staphyloccus aureus.There are pictures of her paw at its worst and at the point that I thought it might get better.Good luck with your bunny love Sarah.

Hi Katie,
I had a very similar problem to yours and I tried everything to get Barlies foot better.She was treated for five months.I was even refered to the royal vetinery college at Langford Bristol.In the end her foot began to die and my only options were amputation or to have her puy to sleep.I didnt want to give up on her so I went for amputation and she is coping really well.I put a post up about her under the title,Staphyloccus aureus.There are pictures of her paw at its worst and at the point that I thought it might get better.Good luck with your bunny love Sarah.

Thinking of you today.

But I do agree with Jane as drastic as it seems it is amazing how well they cope, Lucy spends most of her time hopping around the kitchen stamping (dont know how she has only 1 back leg) for my attention!! I am shocked at how well she copes, apart from the odd falling over stretching I wouldnt think she had 3 legs!! :D

Back