• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

There was a bunny at the vets today... mystery diagnosis

buddabun

Warren Veteran
and the owners thought he had broken his neck. I personally dont think he was as he was twitching and moving his legs about a bit

he basically came in in a cardboard box and he was lying on his side, half curled up, breathing VERY quickly.

they said he had been eating and drinking normally (brilliant sign imo) but had been hopping about with a head tilt. then they said they jsut "found" him lying on his side and he hadnt moved.

I said seeing as he moved when you stroked him and is eating etc it most likely was not a broken neck and could well be an ear infection (btw im not one to go around giving out free medical advice but they did ask my opinion lol)

what do you guys think? ear infection? unexplained neurological disease? dont get it

EC - that's just like Pippa was when I found her :cry: She'd been eating and drinking prior to that with no apparent sign (except now I know she was drinking loads of water but I didn't realise). She was lying on her side unable to move - the vet thought it was a stroke :cry:

Would Def agree, sounds like E.C!
It can be treatable but not in all cases. Panacur is the best option that Im aware of.
xx

can they treat it?!?!?

i feel awful for this poor rabbit. he was an indoor bun and obviously very loved. how on earth did he catch it - i read it is transmitted as spores passed in the urine or, sometimes, inhaled.

he didn't live with another bunster... :?

EC can be transferred to the young from the mother, so doesn't have to have come into contact with an infected bunny recently.

cheers jane, had flicked through that one myself earlier...

lets hope that the bunny gets treated quickly and the brain damage isn't too severe...

the poor boy was just lying there on his side, head upside down breathing really fast and not moving unless you touched him... :cry:

Hi i had this happen to 2 rabbits before (one rescued from bad conditions)It was an inner ear problem.One rabbit had got it because of a bite which even though treated had lowered his system and he developed it,the other had chronic ear problems since i got him and even though it was treated every so often it would flair up.Sadly treatment didn,t work and at the end of the day i couldn't stand by and watch them suffer and so i got them put to sleep which devastated me but at the end of the day it's not about me it's how the wee rabbit's were and they were obviously suffering,head wacking off of the floor,wouldn't eat,totally stressed all the time amongst other things.One vet wanted to tube feed the rabbit etc (not my usual vet) but a pdsa vet (not my usual vet again)said that this didn't usually work and it just stressed and caused the rabbit more suffering.It's so sad.I've got an ill rabbit the now getting treatment (for different thing)but she isn't doing too good.I'm having to try syringe feeding her baby food but she doesn't seem to want anything.I've to go back to the vets wednesday so hopefully she will be a bit better.She has a wheeze in her chest which doesn't sound too good.:cry:

the poor boy was just lying there on his side, head upside down breathing really fast and not moving unless you touched him... :cry:

Hi Buddabun,

This poor bun is displaying the same symptoms as Maggie my little one. See the thread:-
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123802
When she tucks her head right under it looks painful, her heart rate is normal though and she comes around when you touch her.

It is so sad to see, I hope the little lad pulls through x

thanks guys... i really felt for the little guy as the owners tbh seemed a tad clueless but they had him indoors and certainly loved him a lot. it's jsut tough not knowing the outcome. was tempted to stay on and wait for them but they already thought i was odd for paying so much attention :lol:

Back