• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Volenteres needed for pet shop survays for dissertation - Rewards for survays!

Hello

I am fairly new on here, but i am looking for 10-15 human guniea pigs to carry out survays on there local petshops within the next week - 10 days.

I am currently writing a dissertation for my animal behaviour degree the title is:

“What impact do incorrect living conditions have on the general wellbeing of pet rabbits? Who is providing incorrect information regarding the care of rabbit’s and can the sale of rabbits in pet shops be justified?”

I am looking for 10 - 15 people to carry out survays on local petshops to determine:

"Are the conditions rabbits are kept in, whilst for sale in pet shops in the U.K adequate to meet their needs?"

for the survays to be valid the following questions need to be answered:

1. Name of pet shop
2. Location
3. Number of rabbits currently avalible for sale
4. Size (as acuralty as possible hxdxw) of accomedation and number and sizes of rabbits in the cage (e.g small, medium, giant)
5. Diet of rabbits whilst in their care (how is water avaliable, hay? pellets or mix + ammount given + brand if posible)
6. Are rabbits kept in sexed or mixed sex groups
7. If two rabbits were in the same cage would the shop sell them sepratly
8. Information on light avaliable to rabbits (is their a light in the inclousre - is it bright or dark)
9. Are rabbits and gunnia pigs/ other animals in same enclouser
10. Location of the rabbits in relation to doors/windows and other animals for sale (e.g if they are located near reptiles/ dogs/ cats/ birds)
11. General notes on clendliness, physical condition, ect

Pictures of accomedation/ rabbits where possible

As i am a little stuck for time, completed survarys will recive either a maximum of a weeks free rabbit boarding at my home in south bucks (I have kept rabbits for 8+ years and am fostering for the RSPCA)
Or a free pack of Burgess Excel Nature Snacks posted to your home adress

If anyone is willing to complete a survay, please can you email me first to rachelburdett2003@hotmail.com to make sure no one else has done a survay for the particular petshop, all completed survays must also be emailed to that address

I am very apriciative for anyone willing to help, i am looking for a good selection if petshops from around the uk (both good and bad, big and small)

I am aware many owners may not want to discuss some aspects of the survay with you, it may be benificial for you to act as if you are a intrested in purachacing a rabbit from them

Thanks

Rachel Burdett (appoligies for spelling!)

Just a suggestion, but it would definitely be worth noting down the time that the survey was undertaken - as this will have bearing on cleanliness, amount of food etc. :)

Obviously first thing in the morning food bowls will be full and the litter will be quite clean (and if it's not clean, then you know they aren't cleaned out daily), whereas last thing before it closes you would expect the litter to be messed up and food bowls to be empty (provided they have plenty of hay of course!).

Just wanted to say "HI" as you are also from South Bucks :wave:

Can't really help you with the survey, and the pet shops local to me are most likely local to you as well!

Hannah

I dont know if i can offer much help, as i dont have my own transport...

However I can give you personal 'insiders' information on one of the pet shops locally to me, I worked there soildly for two years, and pop in every now and then (just to see if anything has changed/etc), I will happliy give you the warts and all experiences i had whilst working with them.

Please pm me if i can be any help at all.

Thank you!!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replys......still looking for more "guniea pigs" i will pm anyone who has offerd to help individually

thanks rachel

Cute fuzzys recomendation

Oh i forgot.......Cute fuzzys that is a very good point, i hadnt though of that! yes if the survay time could be noted that would be great

rachel

Hi hun,

I can do two maybe three for you in the Oxfordshire area. PM me if you want with more details.

I went through dis hell, so feel for you and want to help

few more needed

thank you everyone who has offered to help

just looking for a few more people who would be willing to help, posibly up north, midlands or maby down devon or cormwall type area......although any offers are still great

thanks rachel

I don't want to give you more work to be doing, but would it be worth having a question about the age of the rabbits if it is available?

I know my local pet shop always displays the age of the rabbits on the notice about them (e.g. Rabbits will be 8 weeks old of the 14/04/08 ) etc.

Might get complicated though if some pet shops have a variety of different litters "in stock".

Hannah

Last edited:
another good point

thanks for that....if it was possible to find out the age of the rabbits where when they are sold that would be great

rachel

dissertation

thaks again for all the help

oscarbunny....i just cant wait to post it in tutors submision box thingy....what was yours on? I felt i could have written loads when i first started, but unfortunatly lost all three of my bunns to syphalis after several months of injections, care and trips to the vets, two in december and one in feburary, at the minute if i could write about something else i would!

On a good note i have two baby pigs to distract me with and am waiting on my first foster rabbit to arive from south bucks rspca!!

thaks again for all the help

oscarbunny....i just cant wait to post it in tutors submision box thingy....what was yours on? I felt i could have written loads when i first started, but unfortunatly lost all three of my bunns to syphalis after several months of injections, care and trips to the vets, two in december and one in feburary, at the minute if i could write about something else i would!

On a good note i have two baby pigs to distract me with and am waiting on my first foster rabbit to arive from south bucks rspca!!

Im so sorry to hear about your bunnies, perhaps posting in rainbow bridge would be a nice tribute to them. xx

My dissertation was on face recognition, handed it in yesterday.

Good luck and hope to see you around the forum x

Back