• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions - just been to the vets

klmirt

Young Bun
I've just taken Alice to the vets for a check up.

The main purpose of me going was to speak to her vet regarding her spay and a general check over but she's also just had her claws clipped back and her myxi jab.

Now the vet hasn't told me if there's anything to look out for in the next few days, just to keep an eye on her. She's seems ok in herself now she's back home but what should I be looking out for? She's going back to the vet's in 2 weeks for her VHD jab.

When I spoke to the vet about her being spayed, the vet turned round and said she wouldn't do it on her and would refuse to do it as she's so small (she's a 6 nearly 7 month old nethie). I asked why this was and the vet said that the risk of putting her under anaesthetic is far greater than her getting cancer or the other risks involved in not getting her spayed so now I'm in absolute turmoil what to do.

I don't want to take any chances with her, but I've never heard this before, the advice i've always been given is to have her neutered for her own well being, but if I'm putting her life at that much risk I'm not going to do it.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want the absolute best for my baby.

TBH I was told pretty much the same thing years ago with my two and I would advise getting a second opinion. I regret not getting it done :cry:

Sometimes rabbits can have GI Stasis after having vaccinations, so it's worth keeping an eye out. She will feel a bit under-the-weather for a couple of days too but should soon perk up.

Re: Spaying, is she really small? Some vets won't spay them if they are really tiny but even so, I'd ask for a second opinion. Yes, a GA is always a risk but not spaying will increase the risk of womb cancer. You still have time on your side though, she is still quite young, so you can get a few more opinions from other vets.

Personally I would consult another Vet, one who operates on a lot of Rabbits on a regular basis :)

Did the Vet administer the Myxi Vacc correctly, ie 10% intradermally ? If the Vet gave all of the vaccination into the scruff and not some into the earbase I'd just give the Vet a call to check that the intradermal part was given correctly. It is the most important part of the vaccine.

Janex

I'm definitely going to get another opinion on it as it is the first time I've heard this, though the vet in question is supposedly very rabbit savvy. It is a team of 4 vets in one surgery but this particular vet only deals specifically with rabbits & guinea pigs and has done so for the past 5 years. One of my friend's who keeps rabbits had her girl speyed there and she was absolutely fine.

Alice is small though, but she doesn't look too much smaller than other nethie's I've seen.

I'm pretty sure she did do part of the injection just below her ear Jane, though I will ring to check. What's the reason for it being done that way? She's having her afternoon nap at the minute which isn't unusual so I'm going to leave her be for a couple of hours, especially after the stress going to the vets.

Size really shouldn't be an issue. I've heard of rats reptiles and birds being operated on which are smaller than even a small rabbit.

My little Comet was neutered last week, I was really worried as he's only 780g but he's 6 months old. He also had a retained testicle and came through the op fine..... I'd also suggest getting a 2nd opinion with a more experience bunny savvy vet.

Hi

I have a mini lop and she was neutered and would be just a little bit bigger than a nethie. She was fine. I would rather have her spayed than risk loosing her through cancer.

Back