• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Rabbits *Please Help Me*

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Still trying to persuade Mumzy to let me have Starsky indoors when we move. She says that we wont have space to give him his own room...

But my only other option(if mum would even say yes to THAT) is to sell my old rats cage, buy a dog crate, and either buy or build a run type thing!!! I dont like this idea though :( I really just want for him to have his own room with a cage inside so he can go in & out as he pleases.

With Jack always in the house I feel like I havent really been giving Starsky enough attention, and I really really want him indoors. :cry:

Pleeeeeeeeease help.
What other room is a possibility apart from a walk-in closet and a bedroom?

Also some persuasion tips will be helpful.
I know theres another thread about this already but this one is slightly different. I'll even put off wanting to get gerbils for him to be indoors!

:lol: sorry I had to laugh - your poor mum is being asked to buy a bigger house so the rabbit can have his own bedroom - I doubt any amount of persuasion will work on that one :) Especially since you now have a dog which presumably has free run of your bedroom as well as the rest of the house, you might find Jack prefers it outside - all my rabbits were much happier when I moved them outdoors - they seemed very timid and bored in the house :?

he doesnt need his own room, thats a luxury. If your room is big enough then he can live in there. Have a dog crate and then let him out to play when you are around:)

Why do you want him to move indoors? did he used to have a garden? Will he have a garden at your new home?
If he is used to a garden and can be in the garden at your new home then I think that's probably best for him. Ask yourself what is best for the rabbit?

If he has no garden in your new home and the option is to rehome him or keep him in your bedroom then I can see why you want him indoors. You don't say how old you are but I guess under 18yrs so you probably don't have the option of getting your own place with a garden?
So you will have to discuss it fully with your mum. Are you the one who always cleans out and feeds the rabbit- or is it mostly your mum? Does your rabbit's fur moult and so would be lots of work hoovering for her? If the rabbit wee'd or poo'd on your carpet(which they often do to "mark" new territory, would your mum be left to get any stains out?) When rabbits are kept indoors it is really important that they cannot chew through wiring so all wires must be protected- otherwise a short could occur causing a house fire or even the poor rabbit could get electrocuted.

I think you need to read up on house rabbit sites -for example

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/housing.html

to find the best way to keep them and then ask your mum why she thinks its a bad idea. If you don't have the answers for her, go back to house rabbit sites to see if there is a forum where you might find a solution. good luck - Sue:)

he doesnt need his own room, thats a luxury. If your room is big enough then he can live in there. Have a dog crate and then let him out to play when you are around:)

Yes exactly, we have one pair in the living room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom, and the other (well, theyll be a pair soon) in this room and the bedroom. They share all our space and it works fine, except when youre trying to eat:D Hopefully our other girl will be moving back indoors soon too. Shes happy enough in the yard, but i always feel nicer when theyre there with us curled up watching a film or jumping on our faces to wake us up:)

Still though its your parents decision, and its a lot of comittment (we hoover twice a day because of the hay, have had stained or nibbled carpet etc) and outdoor bunnies can be just as happy, and he will be especially if thats what hes used to

:wave:

The only reason I want him indoors is for the best of him!
Btw Elve, we're moving because this house is too small for my dad to live in when he comes over :oops:

1. I find it so much harder to give Starsky enough attention when he's outdoors.
2. I think he would get a lot more excersise being indoors, and anyway he could still go outside when he's indoors.
3. He can't go in my room because I'll be sharing a room with my sister... and i dont think my sister would be too happy!!!
4. Starsky hardly moults at all, if he does its just the odd hair or two.
5. At the moment my mum is helping me cleaning out his hutch, because its really hard for me to do that.
6. I cant keep his hutch at its cleanest being outdoors, because my mum always gets really irritated and complains about cleaning his hutch-which she wouldnt have to do if he were indoors!
7. I would gladly clean up any mess that Starsky makes being indoors.
8. I give him food and water.
9. Its so upsetting because whenever I go in the garden I want to be with Starsky-I cant really see him much because in this weather I cant just sit with him, and also the garden is a great big opporitunity for digging.
10. It would also be a lot easier to litter train him & stuff like that when he's indoors, because I can actually spend the time to do that with him!

:lol: sorry I had to laugh - your poor mum is being asked to buy a bigger house so the rabbit can have his own bedroom - I doubt any amount of persuasion will work on that one :) Especially since you now have a dog which presumably has free run of your bedroom as well as the rest of the house, you might find Jack prefers it outside - all my rabbits were much happier when I moved them outdoors - they seemed very timid and bored in the house :?

Awwww dont laugh loads of people on here let their bunnies have their own bedroom ;)

You say your mum is helping you with the hutch cleaning? Maybe if she thinks you can't clean him out when he's outside you won't be able to when he's inside and then it might end up in a mess? (I'm sot saying it would :) )
I suppose your puppy wont go in your bedroom right? Well maybe let Starsky play in your room for an hour or so, then afterwards prove to your mum that he will be easy to clean up after etc.
If you manage to litter train him now it might be alot easier to get him indoors, if your mum sees that he messes all over his hutch then she might think he'll be that messy inside (which he will until he's litter trained, but it is harder to litter train them when they are un-neutered, trust me I have a un-neutered buck at the moment and he poos everywhere :roll: )
I know the weather isn't great at the moment but him being outdoors shouldn't cause too much of a problem, the nights are getting longer and the weather is supposedly getting better, which means you'll have more chance to play with him :)

I really, really, really, really, really, really, don't like my sister.

Everytime I want something, she just goes RIGHT ahead to change my mum's mind about it. She says: I dont want a rabbit in the house, he'll stink it up!!!

Then my MUM STARTS TO AGREE AND COMPLAIN!!! :censored:

The only reason I want him indoors is for the best of him!
Btw Elve, we're moving because this house is too small for my dad to live in when he comes over :oops:

1. I find it so much harder to give Starsky enough attention when he's outdoors. wouldn't it be better to get starsky a friend rather than his own room?2. I think he would get a lot more excersise being indoors, and anyway he could still go outside when he's indoors.
3. He can't go in my room because I'll be sharing a room with my sister... and i dont think my sister would be too happy!!! if you are sharing a room how can you justify him having his own room?4. Starsky hardly moults at all, if he does its just the odd hair or two. i'm sure he does moult he's prob just not started yet this spring?5. At the moment my mum is helping me cleaning out his hutch, because its really hard for me to do that. why is it hard for you to clean out his hutch?6. I cant keep his hutch at its cleanest being outdoors, because my mum always gets really irritated and complains about cleaning his hutch-which she wouldnt have to do if he were indoors! why souldn't she have to clean it if it was inside? dog crates/litter trays still need cleaning!7. I would gladly clean up any mess that Starsky makes being indoors. if you can't clean him outside how can you clean him inside?8. I give him food and water.
9. Its so upsetting because whenever I go in the garden I want to be with Starsky-I cant really see him much because in this weather I cant just sit with him, and also the garden is a great big opporitunity for digging.
10. It would also be a lot easier to litter train him & stuff like that when he's indoors, because I can actually spend the time to do that with him! if you litter trained him when he is outside your mum might be more ameanable to him being inside rather than making a mess inside whilst he is being litter trained.

Just a few thoughts

Just a few thoughts

The hutch is difficult to clean because its extremely heavy, and I'm not strong enough to take out the masses of poop that are always there... being that hes not litter trained.
I also cant put my arm far into the hutch without my armpits being in pain :oops:

I would clean the dog crate-I cleaned out my rats cage when I had rats. These rats were indoors, and I had to clean them for 2 hours every 2 days... because my mum told me to.

By the time we move its most likely that he will be litter trained, because he should be neutered by then!!!
and I've also now made it clear that he'd have a dog crate, not his own room.

Thats far too long, I change the litter tray and any wet paper avery couple of days and then fully change and disinfect once a week. He shouldn't be sitting in his own filth for that long, if you did it more regularly its easier too.

your mum's complaining about helping and yet she doesn't want you to do it once a week? surley if she let you do it more often then she'd realise she wouldn't have to help?

I just wanted to say I'm not having a go or trying to make you feel bad :) XxX

awww hunny im sorry to say but once you have a house bunny itll probably moult all year round.... alvin is almost 11 months and hasent had a time when hes not moulting.. i think its the artifical heating.... not that it matters cus ralph moults worse and it hides the lovely fine hair alvin loses...

Back