• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling Nottingham people - re. rubbish!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Would any Nottingham-ites be interested in sharing the cost of a private refuse collection for bunny waste?

I don't mind if the bin is at my house, or at someone else's, as long as I can bring my rubbish over once a week

Let me know :D

yep! :wave:
do you have any collection people in mind? I currently use someone who is really very good and pretty cheap too... but it'd be good to share the costs! :D

yep! :wave:
do you have any collection people in mind? I currently use someone who is really very good and pretty cheap too... but it'd be good to share the costs! :D

Fantastic :D

Not got anyone in mind, was just testing opinion on here before I looked into it.

How much do you pay Faye?

How often do they collect?

I usually have about 20 sacks per fortnight, but some can go in my wheelie bin.

Do you have a skip or large commercial bin, etc?

You must have a lot of bunns.:D:shock:

All my rabbits waste goes in the brown recycling bin or on my own compost bin.

You must have a lot of bunns.:D:shock:

All my rabbits waste goes in the brown recycling bin or on my own compost bin.

Not that many...only 8 of my own, but I also have 4 single foster buns, and unfortunately my incontinent bunny needs a full clean out every day.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to make several trips to the recycling tip. Can you not put your hay in the garden waste at recycling? I take all my bags at the end of one week and put it in household waste and the second week, it goes in my wheelie bin.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to make several trips to the recycling tip. Can you not put your hay in the garden waste at recycling? I take all my bags at the end of one week and put it in household waste and the second week, it goes in my wheelie bin.

Nottingham city council won't take any animal waste at all at the tip :(

I do sneak straw into my garden waste bin, but I can't put too much in because I run the risk of getting the bin confiscated

Our council is pants :(

i used to go to the tip weekly, til they clocked me :cry:
I get collections probably monthly, dunno though - I just tend to ring them when the mountain becomes too big - I pile them in the garden - no skip/communal bin area or anything like that...

Faye, have you ever tried to get a second wheelie bin from the council?

I'm really tempted to ask, but have chickened out so far in case they ban me from putting rabbit waste in my existing one (which would be typical of Nottingham City Council :roll: )

Have they put in writing that they won't take hay and straw in with the garden clippings. If you like Pm me the council address and details and Ill write them a letter from Oxfordshire to ask their policy in general as I can say that I have an elderly relative in their borough and I want to know. Its ridiculous when its compostable. I can understand they don't want horse and dog **** in it, but bunnies are vegetarian.

Have they put in writing that they won't take hay and straw in with the garden clippings. If you like Pm me the council address and details and Ill write them a letter from Oxfordshire to ask their policy in general as I can say that I have an elderly relative in their borough and I want to know. Its ridiculous when its compostable. I can understand they don't want horse and dog **** in it, but bunnies are vegetarian.

We used to be able to put our small animal waste in the garden bin so i ordered a large green bin,then one week it was put out to be emptied and i got a note saying im not allowed to put animal waste in the bin,so i rang the council they said the site it was going to wouldnt except it anymore so i was left with the huge bin full of poo! So now i end up filling our black bin mainly with rabbit waste (its only empted every 2 weeks!) which goes to land fill when its fine to be recyled it really annoys me!

Hello :wave:

We had an extra black wheeley bin when we had some relatives over for a couple of months, we just rang them up and requested another one and they sent one.... could you go along these lines?

My neighbour had her bin pinched :roll: and the council sent another one out the next day without even checking.

x

Hi, I haven't got my rabbits yet, but checked with our council (Charnwood, Leicestershire) and they also said if I purchase a brown bin, I cannot put rabbit waste in due to them having diseases! I argued the toss, and said that its Alpha waste, and that there ae no diseases humans can catch in it but they weren't budging. The thing is, I asked my hairdresser who lives down the road from me what she does with her guinea pig waste, and she puts it in the brown bin after checking with the same council! What can I do to change there mind? They told me to purchase a compost bin, I have got a huge garden, so storage isn't a problem, but I have no plants, and nothing to do with the compost!

have you guys thought about contacting your local allotments or farmers? In my old place there were 50 allotments all begging for compost. Most will have comunal shed of sorts or notice board where you can stick a notice up.

You could also try putting it up on ebay for collection only (be sure to put that it is fresh not ready composted). I'm going to have to buy about a tonne of horse manure & mushroom compost so that's where I'll be looking.

Faye, have you ever tried to get a second wheelie bin from the council?

I'm really tempted to ask, but have chickened out so far in case they ban me from putting rabbit waste in my existing one (which would be typical of Nottingham City Council :roll: )

I could try... I'll give them a ring :D

have you guys thought about contacting your local allotments or farmers? In my old place there were 50 allotments all begging for compost. Most will have comunal shed of sorts or notice board where you can stick a notice up.

You could also try putting it up on ebay for collection only (be sure to put that it is fresh not ready composted). I'm going to have to buy about a tonne of horse manure & mushroom compost so that's where I'll be looking.

that is a good idea - i did have someone to take it, but they didn't like the fact that it was hay and not straw - something about weeds:? :roll:

Nottingham city council won't take any animal waste at all at the tip :(

I do sneak straw into my garden waste bin, but I can't put too much in because I run the risk of getting the bin confiscated

Our council is pants :(

I've taken many sacks up to Lenton Lane tip before. They asked my what it was and told me to put it in the gardening skip. I had to empty the bags out and it was really windy so I was covered in stinky bunny pee straw after:roll:

Back