• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge?!

Jack-Bun

Warren Veteran
Hi Everyone!:wave:
I have seen on the Stories and Photos part, bunnies having porridge?
Do they enjoy it?
Can anyone tell me how to make it for them?

Thanks
Jack x :wave:

:wave: Porridge is a really good food for underweight buns as it is fattening - so do feed with caution and only as a very occasional treat for normal healthy buns!

All I do is mix about a large teaspoonful of porridge oats with a little warm water (don't use milk!) and let it soak in. I know some people feed them dry but personally I think you should soak them as they could swell and dry out the stomach contents and cause more problems if you feed them dry. Also bunnies aren't good with diet changes so do only feed a little at a time. I did have a poorly bun once who had lost a lot of weight so I mashed a tiny amount of banana into the porridge as well - yummy!

I think porridge oats are used to put weight on bunnies if they are underweight, sick bunnies and maybe dental bunnies. The oats from what I gather can expand in their bellies and can sometimes make them poorly :?

Someone else should be able to give you better advice though!

I think it is safe, a lot of people recommend them for adding weight on bunnies! However I have heard of cases where the oats have expanded in their tummies causing tummy upset etc. I think little amounts are ok, and you should see an increase in weight within 2-3 weeks. I was adviced by my vet to give Molly these after his surgery

xx

I did used to give it to my buns years ago when they were outside. Misty has been losing about 100g a month since Xmas :cry: so Im hoping it will work.

Never give dry porridge oats to bunnies - they love it, woof it down and then it swells in their tummies and causes stasis.
Well-soaked until it stops swelling is Ok, but as previously advised - use it as a treat, or for unwell buns.

the first winter I had my bunnies I gave them all porridge made with a teaspoon of oats, a teaspoon of rabbit pellets, and a splash of boiling water from the kettle - left to soak and cool before being mashed. They loved it but after just 2 weeks I noticed Benny had become like a little barrel :shock: They really only need it if they are poorly or thin - I gave Maa a dish twice a day last week, with a slice of banana mashed in - she wouldn't eat plain pellets but she ate pellets made up like this :)

Back