• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild baby rabbit - question

molly16

New Kit
Hi my names natalie. I have 3 bunnies that i rehomed and have a been giving bunnys a home, care and love for a a number of years.

2 weeks ago, I witnessed a wild baby rabbit nearly get run over and stopped. I managed to pick the tiny bunny up and rushed her to the vets. Thankfully the wound was only superficial and the vets said as she was so small she couldnt be released straight away. We think she was about 3.5 weeks (simluar size to the 5 pictured on your website) and named her Emily. We hand reared her for the first 10 days as we havent seen any droppings, slowly we have winned her off the kitten milk (supplied by the vets), she has grown and doing really well, we have moved her from inside the house to outside with the other bunnies, although she is seperated as she is a lot smaller then the rest.

We have seen Emily go from being shy to falling asleep in my hands, from hiding and being frightened by the russling of bags to running round our bunny barn and jumping on and off logs whilst iam cleaning them out. Sometimes she will hide and sometimes she wont. We care for her deeply and want to do the right thing by her and dont know whether she should be released or kept as she is too tame, If she cant be released, we will offer her a loving home. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If she were mine and she was that tame, I would keep her. I've had 2 wild bunnies, one came at about 2 months and the other was about 3 weeks, I kept them because I was worried about them surviving when they had no fear of people or human things. But that is just me.:)

She cannot be released now.
She smells of humans and of other buns. If she were released she would be killed, even if it were a release near by where she was found. Even her own colony would not recognise her and would most likely kill her before she could rebond into the group sadly. :cry:
And she would not be able to survive on her own.
She will need to be myxi jabbed asap too as she most likely is carrying the virus.
Really good luck with her. :wave:

Hi :wave: I have got 4 wild rabbits that I hand reared from 4 days old and have decided to keep them as pets as all the wild rabbits around my area either have myxi or the farmers shoot them :cry: They are no different from domestic rabbits although they are very lively and still very small even though they are nearly 7 months old. They all have very different characters and are very entertaining to watch :D. Good luck with you little bunny .
Emily

There are some places which will take in wild rabbits and they keep them in a safe enviroment which is as near to where wild rabbits will live but they are in enclosures.

I believe there is a place in Kent, I am sure that there are other places but not sure where they are.

Back