• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold days requires foooooooooood

coco1200

Warren Veteran
i saw cannonwoman's thread when she was feeding Precious porridge, and i thought I'd give it a try to Hermione.

She loved it!!

I put in chopped Apples and Cabbage, and a few chocolate drops and strirred it all together. she went nuts for it!!

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

watchoo lookin at?? :lol::lol:
IMG_0781.jpg

PLEASE tell me that you are kidding about the chocolate drops!!!!!!!!

You do know that chocolate is toxic for all animals don't you?????

PLEASE tell me that you are kidding about the chocolate drops!!!!!!!!

You do know that chocolate is toxic for all animals don't you?????

oopsie. forgot to add that they were rabbit choccies!! the little ones you get from petshops. only added 4 in though

do you use water instead of milk with the porridge? i might give it a go for my 2:D

yep, i put in boiling water instead of milk. i didnt think the milk would have done her any good. i let it cool down until it was warmish/luke-warm and gave it to her :)

not even the bunny ones?

why do people sell them then? :shock::evil:

Hi there.

To make them profits.

Here's one link to a page about chocolate...

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nochocolate.html

I guess it's like a lot of the other animal treats that are sold. The manufacturers are appealing to the owners who want to give everything wonderful to their pets. Most of it doesn't actually appeal to the animal at all.

When I got my first rabbits (and my cat come to that). I just went out and got everything in the way of treats that my local shops sold. After reading up a lot, I realised that a lot of the food treats sold for pets contain an awful lot of harmful stuff.

For example have a look on the back of your average 'manufactured' high street rabbit treat and it will contain a lot of sugar and probably colouring too.

Rabbit's don't give a monkeys about the colour. As carers we should restrict/regulate the amount of sugary vegetables like carrots and fruit like apples (and give as treats) and provide a good balance with green veg and the like. One of those treats can contain massive amounts of sugar, and when rabbit's have potential dental and kidney problems anyway, I think it just adds to the risk.

I like your idea of the porridge and with the fruit and veg, but I will only feed my bunnies what they would naturally eat, not man-made stuff.

Here are another link about treats.

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Articles/Rabbit%20Treat%20Foods.htm

:? hmmm good idea. i dont think ill continue to give her them anymore.

thank you for that! at least i know now.

how often do you think i should give her the porridge? i know its a treat but should it be weekly? or more likely monthly?

By the way, your bunny is very cute. Love his ears!!!

and thank you :p i just cant wait to see how large those ears will get when shes older!!

Rabbits aren't meant to eat chocolate full stop.

Porridge with cabbage and apple fine.

I'm sure a few animal choc drops aren't going to do any harm. Moderation is fine.

Real chocolate is dangerous to animals because it contains theobromine and animals cannot digest large amounts. Most animal treats are made from carob and doesn't contain theobromine.

To liken them to junk food is probably correct, but as with any junk food if given/comsumed only occasionally it's fine.

Last edited:
Back