• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some advice please!!!

Hi i haven't been on the forums for a bit, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with my last post, when Bugs went into gut stasis..He made a full recovery and is back to his normal self.Thanks for all the vibes!
The reason i am here today is to ask for some advice.I have just introduced him to his sister Violet and..all hell broke loose...The first time i introduced them a year ago nearly they fought bad,resulting in wounds, they were growling and it :cry:was the nastiest fight i ever saw in my life..Only this time they are much much larger..
Anyway, it was done on neutral territory, and like last time, they took one look at each other and went to war...:roll:I really don't know what to do as i would like to see them living together, but, i can't forsee this happening without them doing great damage to each other.I was quick to split them up, and they are both separate again.They have both been done, over 7 months now, so hormones shouldn't be an issue..Does anyone have any ideas? These rabbits are continental giants and are normally very placid with me and my kids, though obviously not with each other..Funny though they even tolerate the cats knocking about..If push comes to shove i can take in 2 more rabbits for partners for them..but,i would much prefer them to live together...

Poor you, I had 2 guinea pigs like that (brothers) and I never got them to live together, they just hated eachother. However, they managed to live side-by-side very peacefully.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try taking them on a car journey in separate carriers and see if that helps. Some people say that it does.

Good luck.

i have just read another thread on this forum about warring bunnies..and this is't a case of nipping..they were locked and screaming at each other the same as a year ago..these are giant rabbits weighing over 10 kgs each.. and hard to separate on my own, as when i lifted bug out of violets reach she proceeded to carry on attacking him even tho i had lifted him out of the way.I certainly think if i put them in thier vet carrier (dog crate) together the would almost certainly kill each other.I can't fit two of these crates in the car (i'd need a hearse).There must be someone here who has had giant continentals who has sucessfully bonded warring ones..i'm scared that they will live the rest of thier lives as single bunnies..:cry:

I'm sorry but although i've never been quick to halt a bonding where a little fighting is concerned I will never pursue with rabbits who are 'out for the kill'. Not after what happened between two of mine, she was lucky that she is alive and that her guts weren't literally spilled out on the floor.
I imagine giants are capable of causing tremendous amounts of damage to each other. I just don't think it's worth it trying to bond rabbits that fight like this for risk of what might/could happen. I'm not in any way suggesting that they stay singletons, simply saying you should be cautious...although you already know that :roll:

Erm yeah, i waited a full year to place them together again, i was shaking because i had a gut feeling that itwould happen again..I've never had any problems before bonding bunnies at all this is the first time i have ever come across this evil growling and high pitched screaming..they were worse than a pair of pitbulls...If it happens that they can't be bonded with each other..would i have to get 2 more conti's or would a smaller rabbit be put at risk with bonding them being as they are huge? I am quite happy to rehouse 2 rabbits in need of a home if they can be properly bonded with my big bubbas, but to be honest i'm scared of the damage they can do especially to a smaller rabbit. Why have i got evil rabbits?:evil::evil::?

Erm yeah, i waited a full year to place them together again, i was shaking because i had a gut feeling that itwould happen again..I've never had any problems before bonding bunnies at all this is the first time i have ever come across this evil growling and high pitched screaming..they were worse than a pair of pitbulls...If it happens that they can't be bonded with each other..would i have to get 2 more conti's or would a smaller rabbit be put at risk with bonding them being as they are huge? I am quite happy to rehouse 2 rabbits in need of a home if they can be properly bonded with my big bubbas, but to be honest i'm scared of the damage they can do especially to a smaller rabbit. Why have i got evil rabbits?:evil::evil::?

He he I know all about evil rabbits!

To be honest I don't think it means they will have to be single bunnies, I think it really does just depend on personalities. You may find that when you introduce them to other rabbits they will behave very differently. They obviously hate each other and while some people will go the long haul to try and get them bonded I would try and match them up with other buns....seeing as how you are in a situation to take on two more buns (obviously that isn't for everyone). Are they house rabbits? some rabbits will choose to be friends with other family pets and if they are getting lots of human attention and companionship I think it's ok to have single house bunnies. If you do want to try and pair them up I would take them to a rescue and let them choose their own partner. It might even be worth finding one that will board them for a week or so until a bond is well established before trying to bring them home. I panic dealing with two normal sized aggressive buns, wouldn't be able to cope with two giants :shock::shock::shock:

Size doesn't always matter, but being how they have been aggressive to another rabbit and they are capable of doing a lot of damage I would go for a larger size bunny as opposed to a regular sized breed.
I hope you manage to sort things out!!

Ok Bugs and Violet each have thier own outbuilding with light and electric!Each have thier own door, and I let them out one at a time into their enclosure which is approx 30ft by 30 ft!I put one away and get the other out so i have ample space to take on 2 more giants if necessary!one out building is bigger than the other i have 4 guine pigs that have a large hutch inside there and both rabbits are good with them also, although they do have thier own runinside the enclosure as my cats would love to eat them! The larger outbuilding could house 4 giants comfortably, and Violets outbuilding is about 6 ft by 4 ft, so probably big enough for 2 to share.Bugs outbuilding is 20 ft by 7 ft wide, and thier enclosure is joined onto this all fenced off.Entire area is about 30ft by 30ft! So yes hopefully everyone will agree i have plenty of space!:lol:

Ok Bugs and Violet each have thier own outbuilding with light and electric!Each have thier own door, and I let them out one at a time into their enclosure which is approx 30ft by 30 ft!I put one away and get the other out so i have ample space to take on 2 more giants if necessary!one out building is bigger than the other i have 4 guine pigs that have a large hutch inside there and both rabbits are good with them also, although they do have thier own runinside the enclosure as my cats would love to eat them! The larger outbuilding could house 4 giants comfortably, and Violets outbuilding is about 6 ft by 4 ft, so probably big enough for 2 to share.Bugs outbuilding is 20 ft by 7 ft wide, and thier enclosure is joined onto this all fenced off.Entire area is about 30ft by 30ft! So yes hopefully everyone will agree i have plenty of space!:lol:

Wow sounds like you have quite a set up!! I think that's more than enough space for them. I think that is possibly the way to go forward...Now all yoiu have to do is find some suitable giants :shock:
I'm not sure if you have a large rabbit rescue near you? Maybe you could look at some big french lops too?

Funny enough i was looking into getting a pair of frenchies last year, but when these pair fought like that i was put off by the idea..If i was going to bond each of them with a new partner i would prefer that the rehoming centre bonded them over a week for me..I am also considering splitting the enclosure in half with fencing so both can go out at the same time.if the rehoming centre could do this it would give me time to jetwash the outbuildings and bleach them to make them into neutral territories again.just a thought, but yes i have plenty of time and space to devote to my babies!!;)

Also does anyone know of any rehoming centres or facilities in or around peterborough, cambridgeshire who would be able to help?:)

Last edited:
No further advice to give but I wanted to say how lucky you are to have such a fab set-up!!:D:D Lucky, lucky bunnies!!:lol:

Funny enough i was looking into getting a pair of frenchies last year, but when these pair fought like that i was put off by the idea..If i was going to bond each of them with a new partner i would prefer that the rehoming centre bonded them over a week for me..I am also considering splitting the enclosure in half with fencing so both can go out at the same time.if the rehoming centre could do this it would give me time to jetwash the outbuildings and bleach them to make them into neutral territories again.just a thought, but yes i have plenty of time and space to devote to my babies!!;)

Also does anyone know of any rehoming centres or facilities in or around peterborough, cambridgeshire who would be able to help?:)

Have you checked out www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk?? I THINK and I stress think that there has been some mention of them before on here... I'm not sure, could be mistaken and I have no idea if they are close to you but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

I don't like to see rabbits in shop built runs, if i didn't have my cats my piggies would have thier own enclosure too.(they have thier own 3ft by 5 ft fully enclosed run).Ive just been out to check them both and it looks like no apparent injuries from earlier, although i just had my nostril torn by violet as i was checking her, i'm sat here bleeding lol! my fault because they are both exactly the same size and colour i had to flip one over to make sure who was who, and i got a Violet claw up the nose:rolleyes: OUCH! still i'm ok and more importantly so are they!Now looking thorough the threads this afternoon it's looking more and more like i will need to find them suitable partners and i'm happy to be home checked when ever.I tried to put a post in the rabbits in need bit and the homecheck bit too but unfortunatly i can't... but..if someone see's my post and is willing to homecheck me and help with bonding Bugs and Violet with a couple of future partners then i would be happy to rehome a pair of unbonded rabbits to make 4 rabbits lives happier.I'm really not bothered by size or colour, just as long as Bugs and Violet love thier new partners!I'm hoping someone can help.I'm in Peterbrough, and at home all day.:p

Back