• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit cleaning problem

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi my brother's rabbit has been getting waste stuck to her behind and not washing it off. She did this once before but my brother managed (with a lot of difficulty) to wash it off and even cut off some of the fur around the area. It has happened again only this time my sisters rabbit squeezed his way into her run by digging under it. He is un-neutered and so is she but that is why we kept them separate. Anyway we did get him out as soon as we noticed but think he may have done the business before we got him out. Now there is the added difficult of her possibly being pregnant and she is a little bit aggressive at the moment. Can anyone tell how we can clean all the waste off and what we can do to stop it from happening again?

How long ago did she get pregnant? They give birth 4 weeks after mating, so be prepared for that. How old is she too?

She's really at risk from flystrike if she's dirty, and usually it's their diet that causes it, so you need to change that in order to fix the problem. How much hay does she have? If you feed mainly hay, fresh bundle twice a day, and just a few teaspoons of dry food, and no veg or grass for a while, this should sort her poo problem out - although excel is notorious for causing this problem - I can recommend science selective pellets if you can find them online or at a vets - they are higher fibre than a mix, and this also helps with the poops.

A good way to clean off dried on poo is using dry cooking cornflour, that you'd use for thickening sauces with normally! Just rub it in with your fingernail and work it into the dirty fur, and the dirt will slide off. But you do need to fix her diet or it won't improve long term.

By the way - if you get the boy bunny neutered, it's a pretty quick operation and costs around £50 - but he will be fertile still for up to 6 weeks after the op. And baby boys will need splitting from the girls at 10 weeks old, although they can leave their mum at 8 weeks old.

When I reduced the amount of excel pellets they were having the 'sticky bottom' problem was significantly reduced! I didn't realise until I came onto the forum that a full bowl was far too much, and could cause this problem.

Back