• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fly strike

I was in our pet shop the other day.. when the assistant saw I was buying rabbit food.. she told me that at one point she had forty rabbits! I thought at first she had taken them all in as rescues but it turned out she started with two:shock:... she then went on to say fly strike is unaviodable!:censored:.. poor bunny's.. I'm still learning proper bunny care but even i know flystrike is very easy to avoid... hate to think what she still tells other inexperienced rabbit owners

Maybe if she tells that to all her potential customers it will put them off buying the bunnies:lol: Let's hope so anyway

People like that make me want to SCREAM:censored::censored::censored:She needs to be sacked and investigated by the R.S.P.C.A Thats the reason why so many unwanted animals are in rescue..If you can't afford to get your animal fixed..DON'T GET ONE is my motto! OMG if i had of been there listening to that i might not have been responsible for my actions!:censored:

What a shocker. I hope this girl was sacked.

Thats an awful lot of rabbits to 'care for' as well as have a job. She doesn't even know the basics of rabbit problems, being a rabbit owner this is shocking.
These poor rabbits have obviously been interbred too!

I hate to hear of stupid people having such a responsibility over these little lives.

As you said- what advice is she giving customers!!!

I really hope your story was told to her boss. I also hope the shop themselves educate future staff to basic animal care on the species they are selling and that they don't employ any more stupid people.

Ohhh, it'd almost be worth the plane fare to go and 'ask advice' in that pet shop! :evil: I love giving a good tongue lashing! Ring the manager and tell him what she said, and tell him to send her on a course or sack her. Then tell him you'll send the papers there if he doesn't! Muahahaha I love being evil to those people :lol:

Which shop was it chick? Im guessing pet cabin? :shock: :lol: The reason I ask is I used to go check their buns had hay and got talking to a lady there who said she used to have a very large number of rabbits and had only planned on letting her doe have one litter :roll: She was just hanging about in there though by the rabbits talking to everyone so im not sure if she actually worked there or not.

I have overheard some awful advice in there and just been like :shock: :shock: :shock: Also remember when I collected Finn and was looking for some baby friends for him because he was annoying the older lads? :lol: I called every single pet shop on the island and explained the situation and pet cabin told me rats shouldnt be kept together because they fight :shock: Im remember saying omg I am so relieved you dont sell them and just hung up :roll:

Back