• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Funny coloured urine, I'm worried!

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
I've just checked out rocky's cage and noticed that the megazorb in his litter tray is a very obvious colour where he has peed. It's quite a bright orange/pinky colour - not a colour I've ever noticed his pee to be before and now I'm really worried!

It doesn't look overly like blood, unless it's faded in the time since he did it?

I tried to check his gentleman parts but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. He's a white rabbit too, so I would have thought anything blood or brightly coloured might be obvious. To be honest, when I'm checking him there, I don't really know what I'm looking at :oops:

The only other thing I've noticed recently is that his eyes has been very slightly weepy, and i've had to remove crusty sleep from them about twice a day since thursday?

I'm really worried!

I haven't noticed anything else odd - he's full of beans, eating, playing and being his normal self.

Am I being paranoid or is this something vet worthy do you think?

Please help!

Annike x

Just noticed another thread about the same thing! I didn't realise sorry admin, I just came on and posted in a panic without checking others. Please move it if necessary.

The colour of Rocky's is more orangey than the picture being shown on the other thread now. Oh no, I hope there's nothing wrong with him :S

nope not had any carrots recently. He's had carrots before and it hasn't changed the colour. I've just taken this pic. I have now changed his litter so that if he continues to pee this colour than i can monitor it.

This pic does make it look a little bit more red than it looks in reality. hmmmm :?

CIMG0850.jpg

so do you think I shoudl take him to the vet? Or is it a normal thing to happen once in a while? He doesn't seem to be affected otherwise. It's so strange. :(

i have never experience this myself (rabbits i mean, not me!) but if you're n any doubt i would take bun to the vets. Hope it turns out ok - am sure it will be. :)

Hi:wave: It was my girl who got a urinary tract infection yesterday. I found some links when I was panicking yesterday:)

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=2839
http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=460

My girl was very messy around her private parts so it was very obvious. And the pee spots were smaller than usual, not one big but many small ones. And she did it on the floor everywhere, not in the cage.

Thought the articles about urine were a bit misleading in that they were pretty much saying no need to worry, it's common in rabbits. But since mine hadn't eaten any carrots or spinage etc. I was totally worried.

Good luck with your bun, I hope it is nothing serious!

Hi, Roxy's is sometimes very orangy.red like that it's usually if the hay has been richer i.e more nettles and wild flowers.

This happened to Flo when she had some pear tree branches, it can also happen with apple tree branches. Has he had either of those?

Hi, thanks for all your replies.

Last night he had done a normal coloured pee before I went to bed so i was quite pleased, but this morning its coloured again, but not quite as bright as before - almost like it has been watered down.

He still seems happy in every other way.

All I can think that he has had that is different than normal is some echinacea flowers, leaves and stalks - from the 'Naturals' range of treats. and only a very small amount at that. I think I will make an appointment for him tomorrow at the vet.

Thanks for those article links, I did have a look and found one to be a bit condracting - saying something like red urine is fine and doesn't need to be a vet visit, but you should if there are no other symptoms! :?

Has he been eating dandelions?or marigolds?heheheh I thought the same as you and it turned out to be carrots and dandelion leaves which turned my bunnies wee wee bright red! I feed mine herbage and also rabbit royale by dodson and horrell, and mines wee is always a pinky colour due to the wild flowers (dandelions) in it! I hope this puts your mind at rest!!:D

hi again

i have decided that i won't take rocy to the vet unless persists. hopefully its just come from something he's eating, as he is otherwise in vry good spirits. If it continues or his behaviour changes i will just have to take it from there.

Thanks for all your replies
A x

Back