• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - how long before you call it a day?

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Experienced bonders, how long before you decide to give up on a bond?

Bobbin and Broome are having some serious issues http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122775 and I just don't know whether it's best to keep trying, or call it a day before somebun gets really hurt?

How can you tell if they simply aren't suited?

I feel awful putting them through this, particularly Bobbin as he is being picked on by her. Does a gentle bun need a gentle companion, and a feisty bun a feisty companion, or does character simply not matter? Broome is actually very gentle herself, but compared to Bobbin she clearly has the upper hand.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

With Sienna we found that because she was feisty, a gentle bun just wasn't the match for her :cry: She's now completely loved-up with Dudley, who is also a feisty thing and had behaviour issues in the past :lol: But I do think it's very much down to individual buns ...
Sending you a PM x

I gave up after the first serious fight - I wouldn't ever bother again as Benny seems happy as a bachelor boy, and I tend to think if it ain't broke, don't fix it, where most things are concerned :)

I found with Molly (who is as daft as a cushion) and Jessica (who is a fiesty madam) they have had their fair share of fights over the 3 years they have been together. I have had to separate them a number of times due to fighting (literally headlocked) and because of Molly back and forth in surgery and in recovery I had to call it a day. However, I have re-bonded them after they were separated for about 6 months, and they are getting on fine.

I noticed with Molly, he was constantly being bossed around, Jessica was eating all of his food and I just felt so sorry for him. I think if they fall out again I will call it a day, as bonding is so stressfull and I think that they can be just as happy on their own as long as they have my company!

I don't think you should call it a day just yet, Broome is still finding her feet and is probably 'coming out of her shell' so to speak.

xxxxx

Hi, you have my sympathies, fighting among buns is horrible and your nerves are on edge the whole time :( .
Is the fighting just chasing and nipping or do they lock together and need separating? If the latter then I would either separate or see if a change of scene could be organised asap (back at the rescue perhaps)?
Good luck in whatever you decide x

Is Broome already spayed, couldnt find it mentioned anywhere? I hope it works out, would be a real shame if it didnt.

2 bond or not?

:love:been here many times some just take a instant dislike to each other by fighting or just dont sit together. if she is is humping him a lot then she is being more dominent and will be the boss of the relationship. trinity had four males to choose from a rescue place the first she kicked in the head, second ran away from and the third she fought with and finally the fourth she humped and then flomped next to him and now is a happy bun with pugsley. sorry so many questions :shock: how long have you had them? were they introduced in a neutral area? as if it was owned by one then it will smell of that one and they will be more dominant. are they neutered?

Thank you for the replies guys :)

Elve - I do wonder sometimes, Bobbin seemed so happy before, always binkying and flopping out, he has done none of that since Broome has been here :(

Suzy_d - I do believe Broome has really come out of her shell. They have not locked onto each other during fights but I suspect that's because I've separated them in time. Bobbin is just so gentle and he will hide at any opportunity, so some fights are shorter because he's manged to get away. I'm just uncertain how much more to put him through, and of course, I don't want it to end up with somebun needed veterinary treatment :?

Clarien - I have been thinking about sending them off to Jane D, experienced bonder! :lol: But they have had a change of scenery like you suggest, they have been in the bathroom for 5 days, because there was very little fighting I moved them back into their house today, but I suspect it was the very small space that put them off getting into scraps. Their house btw was completely neutralised before they went back in.

:love:been here many times some just take a instant dislike to each other by fighting or just dont sit together. if she is is humping him a lot then she is being more dominent and will be the boss of the relationship. trinity had four males to choose from a rescue place the first she kicked in the head, second ran away from and the third she fought with and finally the fourth she humped and then flomped next to him and now is a happy bun with pugsley. sorry so many questions :shock: how long have you had them? were they introduced in a neutral area? as if it was owned by one then it will smell of that one and they will be more dominant. are they neutered?

Broome doesn't hump him, just bullies him. They are both neutered and were introduced on neutral territory at Woodlouse's house. They have been together approx 5 weeks.

Broome doesn't hump him, just bullies him. They are both neutered and were introduced on neutral territory at Woodlouse's house. They have been together approx 5 weeks.

Do they both seem reasonably 'happy' when not fighting, particularly Bobbin, or is he constantly 'bullied'? I've known pairs who just tolerate each other and dont have a really close bond.... but I guess I'd be a bit concerned after 5 weeks if it still hasnt settled. I hope not, but maybe Broome has decided she doesnt like him and Bobbin needs a less bossy wife! Why is it never simple.

Do they both seem reasonably 'happy' when not fighting, particularly Bobbin, or is he constantly 'bullied'? I've known pairs who just tolerate each other and dont have a really close bond.... but I guess I'd be a bit concerned after 5 weeks if it still hasnt settled. I hope not, but maybe Broome has decided she doesnt like him and Bobbin needs a less bossy wife! Why is it never simple.

Whay is it never simple... my thoughts exactly! :lol:

They have been perfectly fine up until now but Bobbin has certainly not been the same since she's been here, he seems constantly uncomfortable, he doesn't flop out or binky, he seems generally peeved off!

It does just seem that she has taken a serious disliking to him, perhaps it originated from the issue with food... the first fight broke out at feeding time as they were clambering over each other. She has always been paranoid about food, she'll run off and eat the pellet she has in her mouth, and will eat so fast that she'll end up stealing Bobbin's.... he just sits there and takes it!

aww I bet it doesn't help that Bobbin is a softy!

I found that both my buns binky a lot more when they are on their own and not bonded. However, when you see two buns cuddled together, kissing and grooming, you just know they are contented.

Must be hard for you. Give it a little more time, Broome is new, and Bobbin bless him probably doesn't know whats going on other than hes too slow to get his food....:rolleyes: Just wants a quiet life no doubt! I think you are doing a wonderful job so far :)

not good

:?it sound like they are not made for each other:cry: especially after this length of time. you could try seperating thm and reintroducing them after a day apart? but it does seem she wants somebun who is a bit more active and he need a more calmer lady. but on the save side and to put your mind at ease it would probably be best to seperate them.

I don't see cuddling buns grooming each other as ALWAYS meaning they are happy - with my 4 girls at any rate, grooming is an essential social skill - they are establishing themselves as a group, and reinforcing the pecking order when they groom each other - it's not love like when humans cuddle :?

I don't see cuddling buns grooming each other as ALWAYS meaning they are happy - with my 4 girls at any rate, grooming is an essential social skill - they are establishing themselves as a group, and reinforcing the pecking order when they groom each other - it's not love like when humans cuddle :?

opps... I always assumed when they are cuddling and kissing it means they are happy!You are probabling right! Its the problem when we tend to humaise rabbits I guess :?

What grooming does show is that they have accepted their position in the hierachy and it should be a sign of things settling down.

Sorry its not working out Thea :(

Hello Thea.

Hope you have managed some sleep.

How are things this morning? If it is any consolation I have just seen Herbie and Hollie have a skirmish, followed by circling and chasing. This was started by Holly and I have never seen this between them before :( Also yesterday I caught Rosie (Miss Timid) trying to mount BJ followed by chasing and fur pulling. I couldn't believe I saw Rosie doing this. :?
Am off to the shed now to feed them so I hope all is well.

What is the matter with girlie lionheads? Is it 'the time of the year'?

Thinking of you and yours.

Vanessa xx

If you want my honest opinion, I think you are flogging a dead horse, I really don't think it's fair on Bobbin to put him through anymore, just answer a simple question 'Can you ever trust them unsupervised'?,

I am so sorry you are going through this Thea, if you need any help just give a shout

If you want my honest opinion, I think you are flogging a dead horse, I really don't think it's fair on Bobbin to put him through anymore, just answer a simple question 'Can you ever trust them unsupervised'?,

I am so sorry you are going through this Thea, if you need any help just give a shout

Thank you Theo, I am worried about the same thing. Will Bobbin always see her as a treat and never truly feel comfortable with her??

Is he meant to be a bachelor? Should I try him with a slightly older, calmer girl?

I have spoken to Jane D and she can take them next weekend, but even if she bonds them with her magic powers, is it going to be a forced bond?

They will remain separated all this week - both are currently snoozing in their separate areas :(

Back