• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alvin needs a few spare vibes please U/D hes home :)

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
hes stopped eating and pooing from at least 11am this morn (i stupidly allowed myself a lie in) he has refused everything.

vet says hes very alert and doesnt have bloat at the moment...

i had two options getting him admitted (without pearl) but with no nurses there after 7pm or gut stimulant and an injection of baytril and the recovery pack so i have to do the syringe feeding myself...

i bought him home, cant bear the thought of noone watching him all evening and night.. really hope ive made the right choice :(

first thing he did out of the carrier was drink some water

hes got to go back tomorrow morning, he has a few sharp spurs but no soft tissue damage so she doesnt think it was the teeth that has turned him off eating but at some point he will need a dental... head is spinning :shock::shock:

Last edited:
Sending vibes, hope he starts eating soon. Has he had a gut stimulant? did you say?

yup.. hes just lapped up 3ml of his very watery recovery stuff too.... if he gets thro this i wonder what a dental will consist of :shock::shock:
he had his teeth checked beginning of march how can it become spurs so fast :shock::shock:

oh no hun sorry to hear about Alvin! You have in my opinion made the right choice, if he is at home you can watch him, feed him and he will be with his girlie. An unfamiliar environment is always added stress. My vet is always adamant at where possible, the bunnies should always be at their homes.If you feel he is getting worse you can always get the emergency vet out.

Maybe try fresh dandelion leaves, grass and herbs? A good run around (even if you have to give a slight push) may also help. Did you manage to get him any painkillers? Usually when a bunny stops eating its secondary to another condition, so it could well be the teeth.

Its good that hes drinking water, did the vet rule out an obstruction?

Vibes for Alvin xxx and thinking of you xx

:( i think she had a good prod about, and said it isnt bloat.... not sure if she was the best of the vets at that place to be honest, she didnt seem overly concerned she just seemed to real off the if a rabbit isnt eating speach and how dangerous it is... not even parsley has tempted him.. i dont think he got a pain killer and ive made the recovery thing very very weak its mostly water.. hes not making grinding sounds and hes not shiftin position.. he seems a bit peed off that i keep bothering him in his nap time..

she said theres an emergancy vet on all night should he become lethargic or i get concerned about him too much... if hes not showing signs of improvement at tomorrows appointment ill have no choice but to have him admitted :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

she said his teeth are unlikly to be causing pain cus theres no damage to the soft mouth tissue....:(

basically in all my panic i forgot all ive read on RU and had to go with her word...plus ste stayed in the car with ralph so i had to make the bring him home decision on my own :cry::cry::cry:

to top it off pearl is all hunched up and ignoring me cus she came to the vets too

I went through this with Ebony last week, in the middle of the night, I think it was gas with her.

I spent a large part of the night rubbing her belly, it seemed to do some good as she started eating the next morning.

Keep him running around, even if he doesn't want to (I felt terrible making Ebby run around when she was not comfortable, but knew it could help so had to).

Your in my thoughts. Xx

PS I think you were right to bring him home.

awww dear :( hope he picks up soon - water's what he needs so it's good he's drinking - I have no idea why he was given baytril :roll: painkillers is what he needs too, so maybe take him back to the vets and ask for an injection? Have to admit (at my own peril - just trying to help :)) I mix half a soluble asprin in 200ml of warm water from the kettle, when I syringe Zinniea as I can't get to the vets - I put some fruity flavour in it and she loves it - after a bit of a battle she's sucking on the syringe. I just give her 10ml every hour and so far that's worked *touch wood* :?

Alvin probably wont eat if he is in pain. Can you call up the vets and ask for some or an injection (just thought they may be closed now?). Is there anyone who could take you to the vets?

I have some metacam here for mollys abscess (i don't live far from bham) but not sure if you are meant to against vet advice etc?

xxx

Alvin probably wont eat if he is in pain. Can you call up the vets and ask for some or an injection (just thought they may be closed now?). Is there anyone who could take you to the vets?

I have some metacam here for mollys abscess (i don't live far from bham) but not sure if you are meant to against vet advice etc?

xxx

i think if he dont eat by tonight i will go to the emergancy vets, ste will just have to come home early. its tough one cus Alvins never active at this time anyhows and just sleeps.... ill kill that woman if shes sent my baby home and pain relief could of helped!!!!!

oh no awful news :( how's he doing now? to tempt sorrel to eat after her dental I minced some herbs up really fine and squeezed a grape over them. vibes for alvin x x

Sending lots of vibes for Alvin hope he is better soon.
When my Benjy was very poorly and wouldn't eat much I could usually get him to eat herbs, Parsley, Basil, or Coriander and he loved sunflower seeds but I usually had to hand feed him these things he wouldn't eat anything of his own accord.
I thought when a rabbit won't eat it usually means they are in pain. Have you got any Metacam?

I don't know what to suggest, maybe infacol? Have you tried tummy rubs in case its gas? Has he eaten any hay since hes been back? Its good that hes drinking water, if he hasn't done so for a while maybe syringe some lukewarm water.

If hes still not eating and no poops by later tonight, I would get to a vet and get some pain relief for him.

Alvin vibes coming your way, xxx

oh dear poor alvin. COuld you try pureeing some of his faourite veg and/or some pellets with a little apple juice. If he's drinking the recovery a more liquid form of his favourites might perk him up. But agree with you that maybe emergency vets might be the best option if he doesn't look like he's eating soon.

Back