• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Draw a Bunny 101

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
This is how I draw a bunny, for those that wanna have a go. Please post your pics if you do try :) Sorry for the pic quality, I was snapping with the digicam as I drew.

Step 1. Find a model
My advice, start with a photo... bunnies wriggle way to much. You need a side on shot. If you draw looking down at an angle then it will look really weird. This pics okay apart from his head is looking away a bit but I figure we can fill that in to look normal.

draw01.jpg

Step 2. Forget your drawing a bunny
Bunnies are really complicated so first I look for shapes that are easy to draw. That way I get the rough proportions of the body etc. right and the angles. Compare how big each part is with another and where lines start. For example to front legs start about half way between the floor and the neck.

draw02.jpg

See no piccy and already it looks vaguely bunny shaped...

draw03.jpg

Step 3. Start Drawing

Draw out those shapes from step number 2. Don't worry if your bunny looks a bit square. You can remove those lines later. Don't try to be too neat draw quickly. If you get a line in the wrong place draw another one. Took me a few goes to get the right curve for the back legs - probably because I was looking at the bunny instead of the curve.

draw04.jpg

Step 4. Round off your bunny - the head
Look at the shapes/edges in more detail. There is a slight rise above the eye and at the tip of the nose. The line for the nostril angles up and the cheek has a curve. The back of the head isn't a smooth line - when in doubt draw a few quick squiggles - looks more hairy that way anyway.

draw05.jpg

Step 5. The body

Look at the leg shape, they don't go straight down, and they are wider at the top than bottom. Look at the angles of the lines compared to each other instead of trying to draw a leg. Along the back you've got a bit of a hump for the shoulder and hip bones. Then a smooth curve between.

draw06.jpg

Step 6. The Feet
Look how the feet line up. Rabbits front feet sit between their back feet. That means the back foot is slightly closer to us (lower down the page) that the front foot. So in order of closeness you have left back foot, left front foot, right front foot, right back foot. If you were looking absolutely straight on to the side you would only see one back/front foot - but this way makes it look more 3d.

draw07.jpg

Step 7. The eye.

Rabbits, as you know, have a brown eye with a black centre. I've drawn the brown and black circle and the smallest circle is for the part I'm going to leave white as a reflection of the light - makes it look more real. Colour the black part darker (leaving the white circle) and the brown part lighter.

Note - eyes aren't diamond shaped. Rabbit eyes are quite round - have a look at your bunny for ideas - draw the shapes not the eye.

draw08.jpg

Step 8. The Ear & Finish

Just finished off the ear. Note the top isn't really pointy it's quite round/flat on top. The bulge at the back is lower than the front. A little shadding where the ear base is makes it look more ear like.

draw09.jpg

Okay now your turn!

You make it look so easy. :rolleyes: I have zero talent for drawing. I may give it a try later.
I love your bunny model, very cheeky looking. :D

I wanna see everyone's bunny drawings now :D

My rec is to start with a side on or face on. When you start getting angles it gets more complicated to get everything to line up without the eyes being one above the other :lol:

I'm afraid I cheated... did this at Christmas.. my first attempt at a bunny :oops:

That's your first bunny?! That's pretty cool. You went for the difficult offset view too :lol:

I can show you how to tweak it slightly, if you don't mind :oops:, to get the angles slightly better :)

omg fab instructions!

my main problem is i look at the whole bunny and don't break it down into shapes.

but what about a lop bunny tutorial!!! lol

...and then a nethie, and a rex, and......

but what about a lop bunny tutorial!!! lol

...and then a nethie, and a rex, and......

:lol: it's not too complicated. The same shapes work for most bunnies with slight adjustments. So lops/nethies have much squarer heads so you'd make the head shape shorter and less pointy. Lop ears are easier I think as you don't have the complicated bit where the ears join the head, just flip a normal ear upside down and add a bump on the top of the head. The have chunkier bodies too so you could make the legs a bit closer to the body and thicker - Scamp is quick long and thin :lol:

draw10.jpg

draw11.jpg

That's your first bunny?! That's pretty cool. You went for the difficult offset view too :lol:

I can show you how to tweak it slightly, if you don't mind :oops:, to get the angles slightly better :)

Its the only picture I have of my bridge bunny, Honey :( So not much choice in the angles :D
Any tips would be very welcome.... fruit comes out OK & the occasional dog :lol::lol:

Its the only picture I have of my bridge bunny, Honey :( So not much choice in the angles :D

Aww, you have it pretty perfect to start with, the only bit that doesn't quite line up is the end of her nose :) I think you've drawn what you expect to be there instead of the original drawing. When you look at a bunny straight on the cute little round cheeks are an equal width with the nose in the middle. From an angle however you see more of the cheek closest to you and less of the one further away.

You've got the bit between her eyes perfect, to help me get the nose in the right place I draw a line down the centre on the same curve (middle green line) that shows where the centre of the nose should be

lop.jpg

With that you can see her nose could move slightly to the right.

Sometime I draw a square box around the head to get the angles right, so the angle of the chin/check/eyes are all the same - you got them right. But you can see the cheek on the right is slightly too wide.

If funny how tiny little things change how things look!

I hope that helps :)

Tamsin

Tamsin

Aww, you have it pretty perfect to start with, the only bit that doesn't quite line up is the end of her nose :) I think you've drawn what you expect to be there instead of the original drawing. When you look at a bunny straight on the cute little round cheeks are an equal width with the nose in the middle. From an angle however you see more of the cheek closest to you and less of the one further away.

You've got the bit between her eyes perfect, to help me get the nose in the right place I draw a line down the centre on the same curve (middle green line) that shows where the centre of the nose should be

lop.jpg

With that you can see her nose could move slightly to the right.

Sometime I draw a square box around the head to get the angles right, so the angle of the chin/check/eyes are all the same - you got them right. But you can see the cheek on the right is slightly too wide.

If funny how tiny little things change how things look!

I hope that helps :)

Tamsin

Tamsin

It certainly does.... Thanks.
I'm one of those that can't just sit down & draw (or attempt to :)) I just have sudden urges to find charcoal & paper... at very obscure times of the day :lol:

Will try your tips with pictures of Tigger & Roo..... when I next get the urge :lol:

I'm afraid I cheated... did this at Christmas.. my first attempt at a bunny :oops:

DSCN2108.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow thats great for a first attempt:D:D:D

Tam I have always wanted to draw bunnies and failed dismally:oops::lol::lol:
Your idea of using shapes is superb, I feel confident to have a go for first time in years now:)

Back