• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping and chasing

clairen

Warren Scout
Hello,

My boy and girl (both done) were introduced at the rescue about 4 weeks ago now. It was an easy bond, no humping even. They are always snuggled together. He was a dominant bun when together with his brother (they were separated because of fighting). He chased her a bit on the first day they both came back to 'his' hutch, however since then she is the one always demanding grooming and he has been happy to comply.

However, all day today she has been circling him and trying to hump him. He has not been happy about this and has been chasing and humping her too. A bit of fur pulling and nipping but no fighting or injury. They are now snuggled up together.

I'm waiting for the lovely lady at the rescue to get back to me hopefully with reassurance this behaviour is ok at 4 weeks in and not likely to escalate to a fight. Any thoughts, should I be concerned?

Thanks, Claire

New behaviour-humping and chasing: 4 week old bond?

Bumpity bump,

Anyone know if this new behaviour of humping and chasing is normal after 4 weeks into bond?

I am currently in a similar situation, and it started a week ago, approx four weeks after their initial introduction :shock:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122775
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2376899#post2376899

I think some reversed dominance is normal, as the less dominant bun has settled in, grown in confidence and decides they want to be boss.

By the sound of it your fights are quite evenly matched, Bobbin (my male) however is terrified of Broome, even though he was originally dominant, and he is always the one to be chased and nipped and he will hide at any opportunity. It breaks my heart to see him so afraid, he is such a gentle bun :(

I have just had to separate them again after the 6th fight today, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people say about it

Bumpity bump,

Anyone know if this new behaviour of humping and chasing is normal after 4 weeks into bond?

:wave: Claire, the same thing has happened with my two Smoky (boy) & Lizzie (girl).

They have been bonded about 4 weeks too, Smoky was periodically humping Lizzie, but not very often. Yesterday they both saw (through the run) my new bunny Lulu, and Lizzie started humping Smoky!!! - like she was letting Lulu know Smoky was her manbun :lol::lol:
Now they have been humping and nipping each other since, though it seems to have calmed down this evening.... :?

Maybe they are just reasserting the pecking order? I think that's what mine are doing - wish I'd never let them see Lulu! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Has anything changed recently? Their surroundings, or food?????

I am currently in a similar situation, and it started a week ago, approx four weeks after their initial introduction :shock:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122775
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2376899#post2376899

I think some reversed dominance is normal, as the less dominant bun has settled in, grown in confidence and decides they want to be boss.

By the sound of it your fights are quite evenly matched, Bobbin (my male) however is terrified of Broome, even though he was originally dominant, and he is always the one to be chased and nipped and he will hide at any opportunity. It breaks my heart to see him so afraid, he is such a gentle bun :(

I have just had to separate them again after the 6th fight today, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people say about it

Thanks for your input, hopefully things will settle and all our buns start behaving themselves!! :roll: I've replied to your post too x

:wave: Claire, the same thing has happened with my two Smoky (boy) & Lizzie (girl).

They have been bonded about 4 weeks too, Smoky was periodically humping Lizzie, but not very often. Yesterday they both saw (through the run) my new bunny Lulu, and Lizzie started humping Smoky!!! - like she was letting Lulu know Smoky was her manbun :lol::lol:
Now they have been humping and nipping each other since, though it seems to have calmed down this evening.... :?

Maybe they are just reasserting the pecking order? I think that's what mine are doing - wish I'd never let them see Lulu! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Has anything changed recently? Their surroundings, or food?????

No changes, wish there was some explanation for it, it's puzzling. Maybe it's Spring coming and the hormones are kicking off? Thanks for your reply :)

sound like a lovers tiff

it sounds like they were having a lovers tiff!! was there a lot of fluff being pulled out? as it is spring the lady bun will still go into the natural way of showing she is ready to have babies even if they are neutered.:shock: also the new addittion can set of them showing that it is their territory and whos boss. shouldnt last long. as i have 5 free range rabbits running around the garden (one introduced himself to the gang last night) with 4 stacks of hutches with other buns in that they love to show off that they are out and they arnt :evil::evil:. even to the ones that live in the run under the tree. they usaual try to nip them and chin the hutches, then chase of and hump one of the free range ones. any other question just ask.
emily

Back